Need advice for catcher trying to get to the next level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would recommend finding a local catcher specific coach and start with weekly lessons. If you are in Socal, get with @RADcatcher. Reps, Reps and more Reps along with proper feedback.

Pop time is not necessarily all arm strength. Feet work and transfer can improve pop time.

I have seen many D1 catchers that can't nail the throw down every time.
Thank you for the recommendation. Thought to share
Anybody that wants to reach out
please do
Can also use private message here on Discuss Fastpitch.
Can offer video analysis and suggestions. Great day!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thanks Agcy, really helpful. Here are some answers.

We're not in the midwest unfortunately.

I measured her pop-time from last week's games. Took video capture in gamechanger and placed it into iMovie so should be very accurate, glove to glove. She averages about 2.1. Sometimes 2.0 and above 2.1 a few times mostly when she had to block, dig or bobbled it. Seems she has some room for improvement but after reading some pop time threads, if she can even get it under 2.0 in game time she's getting there.

She'll throw from both her knees and her feet depending on where she receives it.

Yes, the batters are in the way on the pickoffs for 1st and 3rd. I measured the pop time to 3rd for a few pickoff attempts and there's some that are 2.6 so really needs some work. There's hesitancy to throw both from the batter in the way and when batter shows bunt, she waits for ss on 3rd, hesitates to throw with no one there.

Her receiving / blocking is good. Always can use work but not many passed balls. Probably could use work on a block to throw.

Shout-out to RADCatcher who looked at some videos and was VERY helpful. What a great community and special thanks to her.
Thank you!
Always appreciate the opportunity to grow softball players super encouraging to know there are players that want to improve their game!

BTW 🙂 the things we talked about will help her with those tenths of a second to get under 2.0.
Exciting to have goals!!!
💪🫀

ZAP 💥
LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!

Jul 22, 2015
Perhaps it’s just too late to get to the level she needs to be at to be a catcher at this level. Should she throw in the towel?
It's not too late, but she will need to prioritize her goals. If she truly, more than anything else, wants to be a catcher then she has to find a team where she can catch 1/2 or more of the games. If she wants to use catching as a tool to get more playing time on her current team I think she can do private work and improve enough to accomplish that goal. Almost every coach (including college teams) loves to have one player who I call the "can catch kid" who is not a starting -or even 2nd string- catcher, but can catch when needed. This versatility can give a player a leg up on someone else who they are essentially equivalent to otherwise.

Jul 14, 2018
DD has done both The Catching Camp and Wasserman’s HLT workshop, both are very much worth the price of admission. DD doesn’t catch any more, but the Catching Camp she attended was tremendous, probably the best two days of training she’s done with as much emphasis on situational awareness as mechanics. She did Wasserman with her primary catcher (DD is a pitcher now) and he did a lot of catcher-specific work with her friend.

I will also say, if your DD’s first reps at catcher were in the PGF Premier bracket at Nationals, she’s doing just fine. She’s obviously catching some high-level pitching and facing off against some elite baserunners. Playing behind a great catcher will drive her to get even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of the things I see in catchers that slows them up most is the speed of their feet (or lower body movement sequence on a knee throw). You have to speed up the tempo of the dance as fast as possible while still executing the mechanics of a good throw, and it starts with the feet. At the 14U Premier level, going into 16U, a 2.0 or slower pop time is not going to get a lot of the faster runners. Definitely work on improving throwing strength, but don't ignore the speed of everything that happens before the ball is released.

At the end of her 12U season, my DD started working about 1x per month with Janelle Lindvall (Oregon, NPF, US Nat Team) focusing on the details of how to take her game to the next level. That intense catcher-only instruction was a big step for my DD. We would have done it more often if Janelle was a bit closer to us (1-1/2 hour drive each way). That said, my DD went into her work with Janelle having been a catcher since she was 9yo, with good catching and throwing fundamentals from work with The Catching Camp and High-Level Throwing drills starting at an early age. During that phase, my DD was also doing weekly strength/power gym work, which also contributed to her performance.

14yo, HS freshman season...

From 14U through the end of her playing time (18U PGF Nats this year), my DD maintained a pretty consistent 1.8 pop time in games, which is fast enough to get most runners, and it becomes more of a matter of accuracy and how well the SS handles the ball. A year ago, with a spectacular SS, they got a TON of outs on the bases, This past year, it's been much more of a struggle to get outs consistently. My DD had a loop in her hand path that was costing her a bit of time, but was never able to get it sorted out in the heat of battle. She was also about 0.1 faster from her knees, but felt that her accuracy was consistently better from her feet, and used that method most of the time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD is faster and more accurate from her knees. When throwing from her feet, the ball sails.

Finding what works best for each player is important.

Every catcher should work on being competent and confident in throwing to all bases from both feet and knees. Fill the tool box with all the skills, and let the game dictate which tool to use.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Finding what works best for each player is important.

Every catcher should work on being competent and confident in throwing to all bases from both feet and knees. Fill the tool box with all the skills, and let the game dictate which tool to use.
You are starting to sound like @RADcatcher

I don't like when a coach dictates that you throw way or another. Do what works best for the player and do what the play gives you. Ball in the dirt, catcher blocks the ball. No time to stand and throw. Knee throw. Pitch comes in high, gotta stand and throw.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Jun 8, 2016
Z9rV7z0.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member