"natural arm movement of the player"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I would be very concerned. I would go to one practice to see what is being taught. I would ask the instructor if they have a "model pitcher" that you could watch online that does what they are teaching. If they can demonstrate the key parts of pitching in slow motion to you?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
What parent wouldn't want to hear the phrase "natural arm movement" even if the parent or instructor has no clue what that means?

Never heard anyone offer a money back guarantee of 5mph increase before your next rotator cuff tear due to forcing awkward mechanics.

Sep 2, 2022
I would be very concerned. I would go to one practice to see what is being taught. I would ask the instructor if they have a "model pitcher" that you could watch online that does what they are teaching. If they can demonstrate the key parts of pitching in slow motion to you?
Asking about a model pitcher is a good idea. Thanks

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Long time reader, first time poster...

Was hoping to get some thoughts.

My DD is 11 and back in January we moved her to I/R from H/E. With the lack of I/R instructors in the area we went online.

Her team has a relationship with the local training facility and come the new year there will be sessions for the pitchers. When I asked about I/R I was advised that the instructors:

"go off the natural arm movement of the player.

If they feel what they are currently doing does not work then they will look to change. If what they are already doing is effective they will stick with it especially if the player is older."

This is the same facility that originally taught her H/E. I have some concerns around there not being an understanding of why I/R (movement, injury prevention, speed, etc), but wanted to see if this approach of expanding what the pitcher is doing is a flag to anyone else. I could very well just be over protective. Thanks

Where are you from? You might be better off asking the forum for a pitching instructor recommendation in your area.

Sep 2, 2022
Where are you from? You might be better off asking the forum for a pitching instructor recommendation in your area.
We're in South West Ontario, west of Toronto. We have looked around for a local I/R instructor. We found someone we liked, but it was more of a hybrid style. If there are recommendations definitely interested. Our online PC supports this also.

The challenge here is the team aspect. If all the pitchers go and she doesn't there could be negative optics. If she does go and the approach is... not ideal... that's another problem.

I do appreciate the responses.

Jun 8, 2016
We're in South West Ontario, west of Toronto. We have looked around for a local I/R instructor. We found someone we liked, but it was more of a hybrid style. If there are recommendations definitely interested. Our online PC supports this also.

The challenge here is the team aspect. If all the pitchers go and she doesn't there could be negative optics. If she does go and the approach is... not ideal... that's another problem.

I do appreciate the responses.
Ultimately your responsibility is your DD's development. If you don't think this would be good for her development and hence choose not to go, and there are negative repercussions, then find a new team.

Feb 11, 2020
I would recommend online lessons -which means you ultimately end up being her coach. You may also still want to go to the local coach to learn spins this way the Coach sees your not an outlier…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Ultimately your responsibility is your DD's development. If you don't think this would be good for her development and hence choose not to go, and there are negative repercussions, then find a new team.
While I agree wholeheartedly with this in theory, it may be difficult in practice. Him being concerned about the "optics" for a 12U team and these coaches is valid, even more so if other possible teams (where IR would be embraced) for his DD to play are limited in his locale. Doing the right thing is always the right thing but if you don't get a chance to play it might be a short career.

Jul 14, 2018

Had a similar situation with DD as a first-year 12U. After reading about I/R here, I went out and found a Tincher certified instructor for her.

Over the winter break, HC arranged for a local HE coach to come and do team lessons. I told the HC that we would come, but DD would do her own thing and the coach could focus on the other girls. He told me no, that he didn’t want my daughter taking up a slot when there were other girls who wanted to learn.

Fast forward five years, we left the team after that summer and DD is the only one from that team who is still pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
While I agree wholeheartedly with this in theory, it may be difficult in practice. Him being concerned about the "optics" for a 12U team and these coaches is valid, even more so if other possible teams (where IR would be embraced) for his DD to play are limited in his locale. Doing the right thing is always the right thing but if you don't get a chance to play it might be a short career.
Yes if this is the only “game in town” the equation changes. That said for young pitchers in my opinion as long as they are getting innings somewhere they are going to be fine if they are working on the correct mechanics. I would choose rec over a TB team which is forcing poor mechanics on them. Pitching isn’t reactionary like hitting and hence imo (again) facing good competition at a younger age isn’t as important as it is for a hitter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101