"natural arm movement of the player"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Had a similar situation with my daughter where the org brought back a recent grad who is pitching at a D1 to run some clinics. I went and took my daughter, told her to go ahead and try the drills; we'll have a conversation about what feels right and is more efficient after. You never know where you're going to hear something that might make sense. That said, the 2nd clinic we got a little ballsy and started being like "those wrist snaps are cool and all, let us show you our style." Of course this girl had never heard of I/R or considered that she was actually doing that in her motion. I decided to be 'that person' and took slow mo to show her how she throws with I/R with beautiful brush and all. All she said was that she had room to improve - she could get more open and snap harder. :confused:
I like the story you shared because it involved trying and shows interaction with communication!

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
(I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, lol).

First, there are VERY few people (instructors and former/current pitchers) I have met who use the term IR outside of this forum. They teach most of same mechanics but could differ in some ways (such as brush).

I think it is very important that you understand what you mean by IR when talking with or trying to find a pitching coach because it's possible you could be talking past each other.

To me IR is palm up (or mostly up) at 9 position with the arm internally rotating through release. Brush or no brush, high finish, princess finish, sprinter start, rock back, arm back swing, out of the glove, these are all things that you can work with and shouldn't impact the IR mechanic (I know I know, brush is king, got it).

I'm just saying, make sure you have a solid definition of what you are talking about (not saying you don't).

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My DD knows that if someone says "wrist snap" or talks about k-drill with ball pointed to second that she's not doing that.
This is all you need to know, these drills will be the tip off. If your daughter has to do a few of these in order to participate then it might be worthwhile. She might be able to do her IR version of these, most coaches don't recognize the difference. I sometimes use the K-drill with the ball pointed away as a precursor to learning the change up.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is all you need to know, these drills will be the tip off. If your daughter has to do a few of these in order to participate then it might be worthwhile.
✔️
She might be able to do her IR version of these,
⬆️✔️✔️✔️

most coaches don't recognize the difference.
⬆️ Appears that is the main root of your crusade!
I sometimes use the K-drill with the ball pointed away as a precursor to learning the change up.
A little something added to help someone learn!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Don't you think it's more than a little ironic that I'm using 'their' technique to throw a change up?
Hmmm 🤔
Do not think that any set of mechanics turns out exactly the same level of product...
Sooo, reading details you add in your posts... imagine you are going to do the best you know how to produce the best product you can! 🙂👍

Jan 25, 2022
OP could also just let their kid participate in the group session and keep throwing IR. Instructor likely won't even notice if the ball is coming in over the plate. Group sessions don't have enough oversight. Some may disagree, but working with more than two pitchers at the same time is short-changing all of them.

Back in the summer, a well-known D1 pitcher held a camp nearby. My daughter (14, pitcher) wasn't real interested, but when I saw the price and time period I knew it would be a cattle call. One of the team dads took his 11 year old.

$100
4 Hours
Bring your own bucket of balls and catcher
70 kids were there, spaced only about 10ft apart. He said it was nerve wracking trying to catch her pitches while others were throwing so close. Constantly having to dodge wild pitches.

I honestly think camps and group lessons in-general for almost anything are a waste of money--unless maybe you're out there to get attention from a coach. I took my non-pitcher to a very reasonably priced D1 camp two summers ago. $150 and a t-shirt for two days. She had a lot of fun, but I didn't see a single coach with a clipboard, notebook, or even a mcdonald's napkin to make notes of anything good they saw.

The local camp did teach IR though. :)

Mar 10, 2020
Show up. Find out what they're doing. Then make a decision. Passing judgment on not knowing what they are doing now is a mistake.

Apr 17, 2019
Don't you think it's more than a little ironic that I'm using 'their' technique to throw a change up?

That clinic I was talking about, I watched another player (whose dad I'm friends with and I've annoyed with my pitching prattle before, he's drunk the HE koolaid) throw a beautiful change up every single time. Took slow mo, showed her dad how her fingers were on the outside of the ball at release. Told him it's a great change up, let me know if she wants to learn how to throw a fastball. 😆

If you think about it, your arm going in a circle, your shoulder is going to internally rotate whether you want it to or not. So if the ball is pointing down/away from you at 9:00 and your arm internally rotates, your fingers are going to wind up outside the ball 100% of the time. To get the fingers behind the ball, it has to at least be facing 3rd base. If you want extra stretch and separation, it has to be facing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598