"natural arm movement of the player"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 2, 2022
Long time reader, first time poster...

Was hoping to get some thoughts.

My DD is 11 and back in January we moved her to I/R from H/E. With the lack of I/R instructors in the area we went online.

Her team has a relationship with the local training facility and come the new year there will be sessions for the pitchers. When I asked about I/R I was advised that the instructors:

"go off the natural arm movement of the player.

If they feel what they are currently doing does not work then they will look to change. If what they are already doing is effective they will stick with it especially if the player is older."

This is the same facility that originally taught her H/E. I have some concerns around there not being an understanding of why I/R (movement, injury prevention, speed, etc), but wanted to see if this approach of expanding what the pitcher is doing is a flag to anyone else. I could very well just be over protective. Thanks

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Long time reader, first time poster...

Was hoping to get some thoughts.

My DD is 11 and back in January we moved her to I/R from H/E. With the lack of I/R instructors in the area we went online.

Her team has a relationship with the local training facility and come the new year there will be sessions for the pitchers. When I asked about I/R I was advised that the instructors:

"go off the natural arm movement of the player.

If they feel what they are currently doing does not work then they will look to change. If what they are already doing is effective they will stick with it especially if the player is older."

This is the same facility that originally taught her H/E. I have some concerns around there not being an understanding of why I/R (movement, injury prevention, speed, etc), but wanted to see if this approach of expanding what the pitcher is doing is a flag to anyone else. I could very well just be over protective. Thanks
Excellent post look forward to the feedback gathered.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Stay vigilant and continue your (and your DD's) education and understanding of all aspects of the IR pitching mechanic. Well intended coaches and cues can be disruptive to the process (especially at that age and stage of development) when she's still trying to cement those motions and muscle memories. I've seen this firsthand.

Have you discussed this with your current online PC? They likely have experienced this scenario also and may offer further specific tips.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If the PI doesn't have time to check out IR and expand their knowledge then I would kindly excuse your DD from going to the sessions. If it was just one session, I would probably go but the last thing you want to do is confuse your DD with conflicting pitching instruction. Pitching is hard enough already.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If the PI doesn't have time to check out IR and expand their knowledge then I would kindly excuse your DD from going to the sessions. If it was just one session, I would probably go
Yes think there is value in showing up to check it out, if only once, get the experience of listening and deciding the value.

but the last thing you want to do is confuse your DD with conflicting pitching instruction. Pitching is hard enough already.
Agree going forward if it is not what you're already mentally and physically training for can be confusing.

As to the opportunity for people to go think it's nice to have that provided for players that might not otherwise have their own training plan.

Can remember a catcher I work with her new team coach had a facility and also did their own catching workouts. The catcher was invited. She went and experienced it once. And found that was enough 😉

Sep 2, 2022
Have you discussed this with your current online PC? They likely have experienced this scenario also and may offer further specific tips.
Our online PC is off for a month currently. We've talked about a similar-ish situation with her team last year and we needed to watch what was being taught for the leg drive.

Is it required for her to attend these sessions?
Required, probably not. But she's not advanced enough for it to be a good look.

If it was just one session, I would probably go but the last thing you want to do is confuse your DD with conflicting pitching instruction. Pitching is hard enough already
Sounds like it's 5-6 sessions. I've already had a bit of a 'discussion' with the league because they arranged it. I pointed out that just because there isn't anyone else you don't teach the wrong thing.

My DD knows that if someone says "wrist snap" or talks about k-drill with ball pointed to second that she's not doing that.

Sep 2, 2022
If the PI doesn't have time to check out IR and expand their knowledge then I would kindly excuse your DD from going to the sessions.
Thinking about this more, the facility currently has 3 instructors that have the same approach of "natural arm movement", which sounds great, until digging into what they're saying.

I'm glad to hear that others would also have concerns and it's not just me.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Thinking about this more, the facility currently has 3 instructors that have the same approach of "natural arm movement", which sounds great, until digging into what they're saying.

Just saying...without knowing more of how these 3 instructors define or attempt to teach "natural arm movement" it's hard to know. I have heard some describe the IR pitching mechanic as natural...think of skipping stones across the pond , as opposed to aiming or bowling the pitch with a forced high elbow finish.

Most likely, if you're in an area with all HE and no IR instructors you'll run into this often as your DD progresses thru the ranks...get used to it. ;-)

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Natural arm movement can be vague without hearing their explanation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee