My sons' former PE teacher, sentenced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Former area coach admits to inappropriate contact with teen

MACOMB — A former Macomb High School boys basketball coach who’d previously served as an assistant coach at Pleasant Plains High School has pleaded guilty to one count of official misconduct and will serve 150 days in the McDonough County Jail and face 30 months of probation.

Daniel Watson, 39, pleaded guilty to one count of official misconduct during a hearing in Macomb on Monday.

Watson was arrested Aug. 12, 2011, after an investigation into allegations he had sexual contact with a female student then under the age of 18. He was originally charged with one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Two counts of felony official misconduct were added by McDonough County State’s Attorney James Hoyle last month.

Watson, who resigned from Macomb School District in December, graduated from Williamsville High School in 1991. He then went to Lincoln Land Community College and Wabash Valley Junior College before graduating from High Point University in High Point, N.C.

He was an assistant basketball coach at Pleasant Plains High School before being named the basketball coach in Macomb in 2003.

The one count of official misconduct Watson pleaded guilty to on Monday states he “knowingly performed an act which he knew was forbidden by law to perform, being he had inappropriate communications with a student under the age of 18.”

Watson declined to give a statement.

Ninth Judicial Circuit Judge Raymond Cavanaugh said he would accept the plea agreement, but added he was “troubled” that a “sophisticated, intelligent man” with a master’s degree in educational leadership was before him in court.

Cavanaugh also mentioned Watson’s three children.

“You would not want this to happen to them in the hands of a teacher,” he said. “I want to believe this is an isolated incident that will not reoccur.”

According to court documents, Watson exchanged over 6,000 text messages with the victim.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
According to court documents, Watson exchanged over 6,000 text messages with the victim.

Where are the parents? I pick up my kids phone anytime I want, because I'm paying the bill. To me they need punishment too. We give our kids too much freedom without doing our jobs as parents. Before cell phones you knew who was calling because most of the time the parents answered the house phone. I get a detailed bill from ATT, anything on my kids phone that looks suspicious, I act on it quickly.

Nov 15, 2011
That is my neck of the woods. I know that judge and my old high school is now in the same conference as Macomb. Scary enough when you see things on the news that happen far away. Even scarier when they hit close to home.

Totally agree with GOINGDEEP. We just had this conversation at our house the other night when talking about some girls on DD's HS team doing things they shouldn't be- I told my husband I routinely pick up DD's cell phone and look through it. I don't think my DD has sent 6000 text messages in her life- let alone with one person!

3sDad

I was thinking the same thing...The Coach is a pervert and deserves whatever he gets...but it takes 2 to Tango...Locally a BIG news story was that a 23yr old USAF member was arrested on statutory rape on over 50 occasions with a person under 18....Well they met on the internet...surprise...but like you said where were her parents?...

Where are the parents? I pick up my kids phone anytime I want, because I'm paying the bill. To me they need punishment too. We give our kids too much freedom without doing our jobs as parents. Before cell phones you knew who was calling because most of the time the parents answered the house phone. I get a detailed bill from ATT, anything on my kids phone that looks suspicious, I act on it quickly.

Dec 11, 2010
That creep got a pretty big break getting to plead guilty to official misconduct.

He won't even be on the sex offender registry list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01