My New Sony Action Cam Rig...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2016
After my issues with GoPro (http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/29337-gopro-beginners.html) I decided to sell everything GoPro (almost everything) and buy the Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200. So far... very good

Today, I finished my new rig, using the fence clip as the attachment base. I had to fabricate a couple of aluminum parts.

Following components:

(1) Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200
(2) Sony RM-LVR2 remote display
(3) Fence Clip (I think it will work with the LynkSpyder as well... have not tried yet)
(4) Rode VideoMicro microphone
(5) Cold Shoe mounting arm
(6) Custom Bracket to mount the camera (built out of aluminum to allow access to the microphone jack and micro-usb charging port
(7) Custom Bracket to mount the remote display

Aluminum custom bracket I fabricated to mount camera:
My Sony Action Cam Rig by santirx macan, on Flickr

Aluminum custom bracket I fabricated to mount the display, which I attached to the cold shoe mounting arm (which I also modified significantly):

Full Rig:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Looks like a sweet set up! I'm still very much a beginner with the GoPro, need to pop for a link spyder and just do it. I like the helmet & chest mounts for the GoPro for other action sports...I don't think that Sony Rig would hold up to well on my dirt bike rides! ;-)

Aug 11, 2016
This Sony Rig is exclusively for recording fast pitch softball. I do have other mounts for other activities. Sony does have other type of mounting options, but limited compared to GoPro. Just make sure that your GoPro functions appropriately, they had been selling some lemons with hardware problems (WiFi Interference causing thumping noise in the recording). I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black that had been in their shop for warranty for over two months, and they can't figure out what the problem is.

Good luck.

Aug 11, 2016
I had not tested this Sony rig yet, but recorded my DD's last season using a GoPro Hero 4 rig (currently in factory warranty for the last 2 months)...

I expect my Sony rig to perform as good or better.

This video below shows my DD catching during 12U travel ball... last season. I did not started with the lynkspyder, but rather a custom mount system, without external microphone... My rig evolved with the softball season, with multiple iterations, which you will see reflected in the video below:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5UFXabLW88U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My former GoPro rig...
Untitled by santirx macan, on Flickr

Untitled by santirx macan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2016
The AS200V is the substitute to the AS100V camera. I believe the AS100V is discontinued now, but you can still find it out there. They are both very similar cameras, with the AS200V having some additional features, but nothing that would be relevant to Fastpitch Softball recording.

The "R" at the end of the model number implies that the package includes the "Remote Control". You need to check if the Remote is the RM-LVR1 or RM-LVR2. I think is the RM-LVR1 for this package. Again, not a big issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23