My daughters turn for helpful video analysis!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2014
My daughters turn for helpful video analysis.

Thank you all very much in advance for any information you may share to help my 13 y.o. DD. She started pitching about a year and a half ago. Rec league last year, several months off for "other interests", don't get me started on that.... Now we're back at for about a month and I find out she made the high school JV team and its only her and one other pitcher! She struggles with both consistency and velocity. Has always been a leaper and had a weak front side, release is way low IMO. Even after video review she can't correct this. Any advice??

https://youtu.be/SdAdXM7Qdfo

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
Watched the video link, sorry about the annoying flickering lights??? Also, Not sure why she did the double seperation at the beginning of the windup, that is not part of her typical delivery. Thanks again for any feedback.

Jul 17, 2012
Hmmm... arm circle looks pretty good. Lot's of opportunities on the lower half though. Her arm circle is a mile and a half ahead of her lower half from a timing perspective.....but I think that's got a lot to do with the fact that she really hasn't figured out exactly how to use her lower half. Have you tried the 2 step drill, or the pushback drill that are in the Drive Mechanics thread? I think she would benefit greatly from those drills. I see you've been reading on here or at least poking around for a year or so...and I'd bet money you taught your daughter using the IR stickies.....now go one step further and educate yourself on the Drive Mechanics sticky. You've got a Ferrari engine (Arm circle) riding around on a pinto chassis.

In fact, take that video, get to the 21 second mark and pause. Erase your memory, then press play. She looks like a rock star from the 21 second point forward. READ READ READ the drive mechanics sticky!!!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
We have followed the IR stickies since day one. We actually did the pushback for the first time last night after seeing it in a drill. Will definitely check out drive mechanics. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010
June, if you have florescent lights, that will cause the flickering during play back. Film from the side and from the back outside if possible.

Here is a sequence of your DD:

june_seq_zps2e3whurb.png

IMHO, the extra swing she does during her pre-motion is to probably try and get the feeling of forward momentum, which she is not getting. Javasource describes how weight should transfer clearly in the drive mechanics thread. You should look for her weight forward, back, forward. She is false loading. She is not getting that "h" lean.

Basic Pitching Checkpoints

Lean:
4_zpse75fc3dd.png

When the pitcher's arm reaches 3 o'clock, you can see the classic “up together” happening.
Her hips HAVE opened, and the drive foot should detach from the plate; a result of an explosive drive.

7_zps160b64b3.png

Jun 18, 2010
IMO, she has too much shoulder dip at release. I don't mind some, but she has a lot. I think this will effect her posture causing her to miss the brush interface (effecting control). A video from behind would confirm.

10_zps03d8cab3.png

june_seq_2_zpsu07rrhq1.png

Nov 15, 2014
Excellent observations guys. I have never been comfortable with her windup, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I can't wait to work with her on this. I know we are going to see great improvement! Just sorry I didnt post a video sooner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812