Mush Balls in Play...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Before I read anything past the OP ...

No. For the umpires on here looking for advice: do NOT EVER do this. If you are watching a game, do NOT talk to the umpire. If you are umpiring a game, do NOT talk to the fence.

If a coach wants to take direction from the crowd, that's his/her prerogative (although things like dad sitting behind home plate and providing intel is illegal). As an umpire, do not do this. ALL COACHES NEED TO BE IN THE TEAM AREA (dugout). The bookkeeper who is sitting behind home plate is NOT team personnel if he is not in the team area. I don't care if the wrong batter is up IF the bookkeeper is screaming at you from behind home plate.

The guy asking umpires on this board about out of spec softballs doesn't see an answer anywhere here.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If I am calling and its a team-supply-the-balls game, then I do nothing. Just call the game. Of course this should be known by all going in.

What if a coach asks you to check a ball and decide whether it's within spec for play?

What if you find that the ball isn't suitable?

May 29, 2015
The guy asking umpires on this board about out of spec softballs doesn't see an answer anywhere here.

I'm sorry ... I was referring to the "dad/off-duty umpire" talking to the umpire working the game. If you are an umpire: Don't ... EVER ... do that.

Ask away on here! :)

Let's face it, ball handling procedures are pretty lax all around. How many umpires check EVERY out of play ball that comes back in? How about every ball that hits a fence or hard surface? How many umpires know what they are checking for?

I try, but I will admit I do not. I will jokingly say "Yep, it's still round and it's still yellow/white." and then put it in my bag. In reality, I usually check it for any scuffs, scratches, or deformities. Sometimes I forget.

NFHS's baseball NOCSAE rule states balls have to be NOCSAE approved. However, the balls only have to come from a box that is stamped, not actually have the stamp on each ball ... how the heck am I supposed to know?!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I'm sorry ... I was referring to the "dad/off-duty umpire" talking to the umpire working the game. If you are an umpire: Don't ... EVER ... do that.

Let's face it, ball handling procedures are pretty lax all around. How many umpires check EVERY out of play ball that comes back in? How about every ball that hits a fence or hard surface? How many umpires know what they are checking for??!

The ball from my DD’s first HS hit that’s in her trophy case has a hole in it probably from a bolt in the backstop chain link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 11, 2015
What if a coach asks you to check a ball and decide whether it's within spec for play?

What if you find that the ball isn't suitable?

You just check the ball. It doesn't take long to do it. It just a couple of seconds to see if they have the correct Cor and compression. If they don't just use a different ball.

Dec 11, 2010
Actually they were Dream Seams (blue) and they were mushy from the first pitch of the first game. My only explanation is that they were stored at the bottom of a pond.
Sigh…. I guess I’ll need YOUR Venmo. Me and my big mouth….lol

Jun 19, 2016
This happened to my DD's team this weekend. The ball was so soft if would not even bounce. Umpire threw the ball out and that was the only consequence. The days of team provided balls needs to end and the pitcher needs to leave the ball in the circle. This never happened when they shared balls

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802