Motivating Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm looking for input on what motivates players better: punishment such as running or push ups for every bad throw, miscommunication, error, etc, or creating incentives where most activities are set up as competitions where the winner(s) can get exemption from picking up gear, raking, half sets of lines, watch losers do push ups, etc. Or is there a combination of the two that works well

Thanks,
Ken

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I've always had a combination of the two. In the past, we've had sit ups for bad throws and mistakes that definitely should have been prevented. Incentives are also great for games, they especially like watching the other team do the punishment. Depending on the level, however, you have to be careful not to have the same group win every time. Even them out, if not players will get upset (especially the younger kids).

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ken,

I think people make motivating players tougher than what it should be. When I was a young basketball coach, I did they typical line tappers or suicides or whatever you want to call them. One day it dawned on me that while we were running those things, we were not working on our game. So, I decided that when we ran from then on, we were using a basketball. IMO, don't waste time punishing players. Get them to get after it more by making them take pride in what they do. Make them want to do well for you. Show them leadership by example. Set the bar high. Tell them they can achieve it. BTW, I don't believe in "incentives" either. Winning or starting is their incentive. Pat them on the back. Catch them doing good. Make sure they know you know how hard they are working. Tell others how proud you are of our players. Create a Program and not just a team. Make everything in practice a competition and then congratulate the winner but recognize those that worked hard.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
From psychology in college, I remember that negative reinforcement (punishment) is much less effective than positive reinforcement (reward), and its effects are short lived. But like I tell my kids when they did something wrong "It sure makes me feel better". Id rather punish them than offer a reward for better behaviour, something in the human instinct I guess.

Id limit negative to things like not paying attention, etc. Or , things you might just do anyway. Running laps at practice for every error made in a game/tournament is common (as a team), but they would run anyway, so its not really punishment, but a reward if they dont make any, or very few!

Aug 2, 2008
Why punish a kid for trying. I Have always thought punishment and yelling at kids is a way to compensate for lack of coaching ability. I don't know anything about your team, but we chose kids who want to be the best they can and never once has one of them said I am going to over throw first base on purpose. Running and pushups, J-jacks,etc.... is for warmups and exercise and IMO should not be confused with punishment. The worst thing I can do to our players is sit them out, it kills them.
Please don't take offense to this, but if they are continually messing up throws, coverages, or whatever, it could be you still have some coaching to do. When an error happens the first thought is, have we tought them correctly? if no, then we have work to do. If yes, then we have more work to do. Running for punishment is a waste of time IMO.

BTW I am assuming you have players who care about the game, if they don't, not much will help.

Mike

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cannonball's post should be required reading for every coach.

Getting the maximum out of players is easy--but few coaches have the b*lls to do it.

If a player makes a mistake--TAKE HER OUT OF THE GAME THE NEXT INNING. Don't make a big deal out of it. Don't feel bad about it. Don't send someone to "counsel" her. Don't put her on suicide watch. If a coach does this TO EVERYONE (including the 'stars'), the whole team plays at a much higher level.

Of course, you have to like your players and like coaching, and do this in a spirit of fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs