Most obnoxious parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
That's when you go back to the coach and say..."Apparently, I was wrong. He now claims he was talking about how much YOU suck".
And then that dad would say, "no I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the player"

We had a guy like that on DD"s team (not that bad, but always critizing players who weren't his DD "you gotta catch that, you gotta swing at that)....I finally told him to shut the F up, I'm sick of hearing it, and two parents behind me finally spoke up and said the same thing. He was basically a nice guy but got carried away, he calmed way down after that and never heard any negativity agian.......Although it doesnt sound like your dad would be like that.

Apr 26, 2019
I do that as well...a good play is a good play. It isn't like they are playing for the Yankees.. :p
I will also do it. Was at a tournament last weekend. I was sitting behind the backstop. The other team had a pretty darn good catcher.

The girl obviously has been brought up well. A couple of times I said "Nice block, catch." Or "Great throw, girl!" She'd turn around each time, say thank you then back to work. Polite as all get out, she was.

Sep 19, 2018
We had an opponents mother stealing / relaying pitches. Not a coach, but one of the players mothers. It that better or worse???

We are 12U B team. Mostly first years. When calling pitches the coach keeps it simple and fast. He give the catcher a number for the pitch then taps for location. So truthfully, anyone watching can figure it out easily enough. But this is 12U B.

This parent was standing just on the 1B side of the back stop. Immediately after each pitch was called she was telling the better location. It is 12U B, how often if the pitcher really hitting the spot called? Not too often, but really? Do you really have to have your child win that you would do that?

uhhgg. I thought that was pretty obnoxious.

May 6, 2015
DD as a catcher who is very protective of her pitchers would then have a confab with pitcher, and tell her from now on position is opposite of signal (ie low and inside signal means high and away). then call for low outside (really meaning high and inside), then turn and grin at said parent after the brushback.

and of course she has a universal signal for anyone she thinks is trying to steal signals 🖕;)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We had an opponents mother stealing / relaying pitches. Not a coach, but one of the players mothers. It that better or worse???

We are 12U B team. Mostly first years. When calling pitches the coach keeps it simple and fast. He give the catcher a number for the pitch then taps for location. So truthfully, anyone watching can figure it out easily enough. But this is 12U B.

This parent was standing just on the 1B side of the back stop. Immediately after each pitch was called she was telling the better location. It is 12U B, how often if the pitcher really hitting the spot called? Not too often, but really? Do you really have to have your child win that you would do that?

uhhgg. I thought that was pretty obnoxious.

At 12u B (or any level in my opinion) that's ridiculous. While not identical.....DD and I went to her school's Highschool game last year. Our catcher was setting up a little early and opposing parents were calling out the location to the hitter. If the opposing coaches or players were calling it out....I'm fine with that. That's within the game. As soon as that "coaching" started coming from behind the fence I had an issue with it. Short story; our catcher adjusted and it became a non-issue.

Oct 4, 2018
We played a team that was particularly white trashy, and I say it that way because softball in the South is always kinda white trashy.

At least three parents were drunk and slurring their words. They were riding the ump from the first pitch of the game. Then they started teasing our girls and laughing when they made mistakes.

I hope to never play that team again.

May 6, 2015
We played a team that was particularly white trashy, and I say it that way because softball in the South is always kinda white trashy.

At least three parents were drunk and slurring their words. They were riding the ump from the first pitch of the game. Then they started teasing our girls and laughing when they made mistakes.

I hope to never play that team again.
you are way too nice. I would have started teasing and laughing at them for not being able to hold the liquor, clothing choices, hairstyles, just being ugly, dumb, whatever. if they started something, just respond that you thought that they liked that kinda treatment, since they were treating kids that way.

Oct 4, 2018
you are way too nice. I would have started teasing and laughing at them for not being able to hold the liquor, clothing choices, hairstyles, just being ugly, dumb, whatever. if they started something, just respond that you thought that they liked that kinda treatment, since they were treating kids that way.

I've honestly been sitting here bummed for two days that I didn't have some witty come-backs and insults. I let myself down. But more importantly, I let the world down. :)

Jul 27, 2020
During DD’s first year of TB I was 100% guilty of being the parent yelling “Go one go one!!” or “Make the adjustment” or a number of other dumb useless things. It’s similar to being the guy at a hockey game yelling “shoot!” all of the time.

Now I just find a spot away from the other parents......sit back and applaud for all the good plays. Whether it’s our team or not. It’s much more enjoyable.

I can related to this to a T. Had to consciously make an effort to stay away from everyone and stop with the comments to my daughter on every at bat or batter faced.

It wasn’t easy for me at first but agree 100% it’s much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2021
I have two. First is simple. Any parents that brings a damn cowbell to a game. That actually happened at the World Fastpitch Championship which is a major tourney with major college coaches in attendance. I knew when and where that team was playing for an entire week. OMG.

As 12U we played up in a 14U tourney. One of the 14U teams thought they were pretty hot stuff. Put it this way, when a call didn't go their way, all the kids would look up in the stands at their parents. We jumped out on them quick and the parents started going bonkers literally every call. Instead of just tossing out the parents, the Umpire called time, then walked off the field, got in his car and left. The other teams parents actually followed him to his car yelling insults to him as he left. As 12U parents, we were completely dumbfounded, but the remainder of the tourney, we had real city police stationed around our bleachers despite the fact we had absolutely zero involvement in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802