Most memorable dugout chants you've heard...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, to me, there's a difference between a "cheering" chant and a "taunting" chant. I don't like the ones that taunt. But, honestly, the girls have been hearing them all so long that I think they generally just tune it out. But drumsticks and noisemakers during a pitch are bush league IMHO and should be shut down.

Jun 11, 2013
The funnies I ever heard was DD was playing for a team who was a young 14U team all 12 and 13. We were playing an 18U tournament and needed another pitcher so we took one from the 18U team. She had a few odd repeat after me chants and then said did one that was "Let's try and score like our dates at the prom". She was met with dead silence and the parents were sitting with their mouths open. She just looked and said "maybe a bit too young for that one".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it was 14U, HC at 3rd base yelled at dugout to shut up because he could not communicate to batter.

They shut up.

Of course 2 or so innings latter why are you not making any noise?

For that team he knew he made a mistake and chaos was restored.

DD's 18U Team dugout can be pretty load, they do not do much chants anymore.

Couple teams we play do, doesn't bother me.

Jul 3, 2013
That's funny, we were playing a team last Saturday (18u) when a 10u team from their club started chanting. I didn't see what happened, but they stopped and moved to the outfield.
DD's team (10u) was watching one of the older teams (18u) in the same club play between games at a tournament and started chanting for them. The coach came out of the dugout and told them to stop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
My thoughts were, its a game, not a job. Its their last few years of playing for most of them. Let them have fun doing it.

But I do agree with not doing anything to insult, belittle or distract the other team. You can do it and still be just fun.

Could not agree more, Core. Heck the older they are the more I like to see them having fun. It shouldn’t get harder to have fun. We should be getting BETTER at having fun just like we become better at playing ball!

It doesn’t have to be chanting. It could be a “mascot” pink yard flamingo or a ratty stuffed animal they found at the hotel or whatever.

Another thing- I hate the phrase “do your job”. I think implies that performance is a forgone conclusion or that a player chooses to not perform. I also think it implies that because the execution of the act is a “job” it need not be celebrated.

Celebrate the little wins and have fun. Just like the quote in Moneyball, “We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't...we don't know when that's gonna be. Some of us are told at eighteen, some of us are told at forty, but we're all told." Have fun before we are told!

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Agree WW, you are going to have your whole life ahead to have to "do your job" and a lot of times, its not fun...its a grind. Its life.

No need to take the fun out of a game (and yes, its a game...99.9% of people aren't going to get paid to play any game in life, so enjoy yourself now).

Jul 4, 2018
When DD first started travel at 8u I hated the chanting, now I love it. Like posted before it lets you know the girls are watching the game. Some of them are hilarious and actually crack me up. I can't tell you how many times we have been driving home and I catch myself humming cheers that stuck in my head. One of my favorites is "holy sheep, she just hit it deep".

I am sure you have all heard the common cheer with full count (3-2 whatcha gonna do? Walk her Walk her). My DD is a pitcher and her last name is Walker. When my daughter heard this cheer when she was young thought they were saying 3-2 whatcha gonna do? Walker, Walker. She actually thought they were cheering for her, lol. She usually would dial it up and get a K. So our team used to like it when the other team would do that chant, and our parents/fans all knew my DD liked the chant that was meant to bother her. Once, she had full count and the other team was not chanting at all and a girl on our bench actually did the chant, everyone on our side thought it was hilarious, the other team thought we were crazy.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This weekend, not a chant but when a batter got up who was wearing the #9, her team all started saying “nine”.”nine”. “nine”. “nine” like the seagulls in Finding Nemo. It was hilarious!

Feb 17, 2014
This weekend, not a chant but when a batter got up who was wearing the #9, her team all started saying “nine”.”nine”. “nine”. “nine” like the seagulls in Finding Nemo. It was hilarious!

I have seen something similar to this.

Batter gets in the box. 1B says 'mine', then SS, then 2B, then 3B, then RF, then LF, then CF, repeat and each time the pauses get shorter until the whole field is saying mine, mine, mine all the time.

I have tried to get DD's teams to do it over the years and they've all thought it was stupid. There is a #9 on her team so I will see if they will do it when she's batting.

Mar 13, 2010
Chanting is part of softball. It’s fun and can keep your mind on the game. I play seniors in a social fastpitch comp and we still do it.

Though in the grand final last year the opposing team doing a scream RIGHT as I let go got shut down quick and hard by the umpire. Second time they did it umpire rung up the batter even though it was an obvious ball and told the coach players would start getting ejected next ����

Though reading some of these chants they’re pretty tacky and shouldn’t be allowed. You cheer your team you don’t taunt the others.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449