More power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
She practiced at the 225 fence this past weekend and hit the fence - she said everyone told her she needed to do one more push-up ;)

Sep 29, 2014
Those views are hard to tell obviously a lot to like in her swing, biggest thing I see is her position the instant before launching her swing forward at heel plant, it is knob forward not knob back...this might seem quicker and more efficient but it isn't and my guess is what is robbing her of her power. It basically results in her pulling or dragging (although not exactly like bat drag) through the zone. I tried to fix this with one of the HS girls I coached to no avail over the course of a few weeks, it might be something you need to work during the off season because it is a pretty big swing change. Looks like she is also starting her forward motion slightly before heel plant, another power leak and she is dropping her hands but I think that will clean itself up with fixing the first issue which is the biggest. Honestly girl I worked with was same way most doubles on our team, which is why I didn't do much once season started.

Attachments

• knob forward.JPG
    knob forward.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 16
  • knob to catcher.JPG
    knob to catcher.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
May 27, 2022
My 2 cents...
At this point, her shoulders are dragging her arms to the hit instead of arm pulling with the shoulders. The front elbow should be bent the entire time up to extension.

1655141815245.png

Jun 8, 2016
Those views are hard to tell obviously a lot to like in her swing, biggest thing I see is her position the instant before launching her swing forward at heel plant, it is knob to forward not knob back...this might seem quicker and more efficient but it isn't and my guess is what is robbing her of her power. It basically results in her pulling or dragging (although not exactly like bat drag) through the zone. I tried to fix this with one of the HS girls I coached to no avail over the course of a few weeks, it might be something you need to work during the off season because it is a pretty big swing change. Looks like she is also starting her forward motion slightly before heel plant, another power leak and she is dropping her hands but I think that will clean itself up with fixing the first issue which is the biggest. Honestly girl I worked with was same way most doubles on our team, which is why I didn't do much once season started.
Yeah her hand load is similar (but not as bad) to my kid's (radial deviation of the wrist while loading towards 3B duguout)..hopefully OP has better luck fixing it then I have. I have basically given up.

I don't know if it is a power rob per se but it does make getting to low pitches more difficult with the bat laid flat like that before launching (OP's kid seemed to hit a few of those decent though)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah her hand load is similar (but not as bad) to my kid's (radial deviation of the wrist while loading towards 3B duguout)..hopefully OP has better luck fixing it then I have. I have basically given up.

I don't know if it is a power rob per se but it does make getting to low pitches more difficult with the bat laid flat like that before launching (OP's kid seemed to hit a few of those decent though)
First try is tons of drill work with her NOT hitting the ball only getting to the proper load position...have to build muscle memory. Just basically forcing her to stop at heel plant so she looks like the Alo picture. Then next phase of drill is to start at correct load position and hit off tee from load only. Then start from beginning stance get to correct load, check position with a pause then hit. Basically just building block approach...but yeah it isn't easy for sure.

Jun 8, 2016
First try is tons of drill work with her NOT hitting the ball only getting to the proper load position...have to build muscle memory. Just basically forcing her to stop at heel plant so she looks like the Alo picture. Then next phase of drill is to start at correct load position and hit off tee from load only. Then start from beginning stance get to correct load, check position with a pause then hit. Basically just building block approach...but yeah it isn't easy for sure.
Yeah..have done all that. Can even get her to not do it in front toss. Game time is a different story…

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Those views are hard to tell obviously a lot to like in her swing, biggest thing I see is her position the instant before launching her swing forward at heel plant, it is knob forward not knob back...this might seem quicker and more efficient but it isn't and my guess is what is robbing her of her power. It basically results in her pulling or dragging (although not exactly like bat drag) through the zone. I tried to fix this with one of the HS girls I coached to no avail over the course of a few weeks, it might be something you need to work during the off season because it is a pretty big swing change. Looks like she is also starting her forward motion slightly before heel plant, another power leak and she is dropping her hands but I think that will clean itself up with fixing the first issue which is the biggest. Honestly girl I worked with was same way most doubles on our team, which is why I didn't do much once season started.
I mentioned this to DD and she said - she knows. I think it is something she's working on but she has always said - if she thinks too much when she goes up to bat, she messes up more. I did go and look at her HR video and at least it looks to me like the knob is the right way but I'm not sure - it's harder to tell at the angle I'm at. She's def not as back as Alo. I know so little. I started to look at MLB home runs too to see the difference.

Attachments

• homerun.jpg
    homerun.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I mentioned this to DD and she said - she knows. I think it is something she's working on but she has always said - if she thinks too much when she goes up to bat, she messes up more. I did go and look at her HR video and at least it looks to me like the knob is the right way but I'm not sure - it's harder to tell at the angle I'm at. She's def not as back as Alo. I know so little. I started to look at MLB home runs too to see the difference.
If you look at those MLB HR video, any compilation, you will see 99.9% (I'm allowing there could be one I haven't seen) the hitters will always be in a launch position very similar to Alo in the picture.

May 12, 2016
My 2 cents...
At this point, her shoulders are dragging her arms to the hit instead of arm pulling with the shoulders. The front elbow should be bent the entire time up to extension.

View attachment 25823
JMHO, but be careful with this bolded above.

JMHO, be careful with all this advice LOL. Your DD is hitting the ball well if she's hitting it off a 225' fence with front toss. More important question is, how's she hitting in games?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28