monkey butt and quad dominance, Are they linked?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
It has to do with drive thrust. A quad dominant athlete doesn't utilize their glute in the drive and instead uses their quad muscle to generate force. It results in a weaker, inefficient drive.
And it's obviously hugely important to pitching since a guy that has coached in college and helped the Olympic team doesn't even know what it is.

Apr 12, 2015
And it's obviously hugely important to pitching since a guy that has coached in college and helped the Olympic team doesn't even know what it is.

Given how little you know about pitching, I'll take your comment for what its worth.

💩

Glute vs. quad dominant would be one of the little differences that causes an athlete the peter out at the high school or JUCO level versus making it into the elite ranks.

Since I know you don't have students or even teach anyone, the concept is probably unimportant to you. But if you even did actually try to do something to help someone and wondered why they were stuck in the high 50s when all their mechanics looked pretty good, its probably something you might do some research on.

But hey, keep trolling instead dude. It works for you. Sort of.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
… (one I think is good, one I would change instantly) …

Bill, how would you go about changing what you see in the example that isn’t as good? There’s been pages written about this video on this site, and I would be really curious to know how you would approach this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, how would you go about changing what you see in the example that isn’t as good? There’s been pages written about this video on this site, and I would be really curious to know how you would approach this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's pretty simple. In the example on the right, there's 2 things I'd switch: #1 During the load of the arms, whether the hands are together or she's doing the one arm backswing, she needs to lean forward. The weight is at the furthest point forward when the hand(s) are at the furthest point behind in the load. Rule of thumb is to not lean too far forward, like not allowing the chin to surpass the front knee. #2. make sure the back leg is straight. When the back knee bends, the weight is automatically sent downward, almost like a sitting motion.

But when you combine the two things: leaning forward with the back leg straight (notice I said STRAIGHT, not locked) then she's in a better position for the arms to lead the way during the thrust forward.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Left is good, right is bad.

As Abby mentioned, there are some techniques that can be adjusted to encourage a girl to use her glutes more, but in a true quad dominant athlete, there isn't really a whole lot that can be done outside literally months of specific and targeted physical therapy.

For pitching, it wouldn't take months--probably a few weeks at most.

I've worked with a personal trainer on this exact issue. I bicycle a lot--I rode 36 miles yesterday--so I'm ridiculously quad dominant.

Given a second or two to properly distribute my weight and get the feet position correctly, I can use my glutes. Mainly, I had to learn what it feels like to "activate the glutes". It only took me about 3 or 4 weeks before I could do it whenever I wanted.

So, I don't think a reasonably athletic pitcher would have any trouble at all.

There could be stamina issues...quad dominance means the glutes are underdeveloped. It might take months to build up the glutes...but, that is really a matter of strengthening the glutes.

Now, for movements which are reflexive, e.g., jumping in a basketball game, it would take months to rewire the semi-automatic movement.

Apr 12, 2015
Given a second or two to properly distribute my weight and get the feet position correctly, I can use my glutes. Mainly, I had to learn what it feels like to "activate the glutes". It only took me about 3 or 4 weeks before I could do it whenever I wanted.

So, I don't think a reasonably athletic pitcher would have any trouble at all.

There could be stamina issues...quad dominance means the glutes are underdeveloped. It might take months to build up the glutes...but, that is really a matter of strengthening the glutes.

These are excellent points, Ray.

Now, for movements which are reflexive, e.g., jumping in a basketball game, it would take months to rewire the semi-automatic movement.

Yes. Most of the research into quad dominance that I have seen and read relates to basketball.

Apr 12, 2015
Lots of disparaging words about me but very little about my message. That's when you know you have hit on something. When they attack the messenger instead of the message.

What message? That Bill didn't know the term "quad dominance"? So? He recognized the problem and knew the solutions for it. A ton of very good pitching coaches don't know or use the term "internal rotation" but teach it just the same. So Hillhouse didn't know the term "quad dominant" but he knew exactly what it looked like. Your message was stupid and pointless, like most of your posts.

This place was basically built on the premise of challenging conventional thinking. Challenging the prevailing thoughts out there being bandied about by the majority of instructors . In pitching it was challenging the "hello elbow" method. COREECTLY challenging it I might add. But for some reason most folks here now, in particular you, have a real hard time with anyone challenging conventional thinking if it is YOUR thoughts they are challenging.

What conventional thinking are you challenging? That there is an elite pitcher on the planet that pitches with something other than IR mechanics? That is akin to challenging the conventional thinking that the Earth is round. You aren't challenging anything. You troll. You contribute virtually nothing. You can challenge me all you want, I'm not offended. Much like the HE defenders back in the day, you are wrong. There isn't any challenge about it.

As for your "challenge" of conventional thinking.....you say " And it's obviously hugely important to pitching since a guy that has coached in college and helped the Olympic team doesn't even know what it is."

Bill had this to say "I can see from this split screen there's a difference (one I think is good, one I would change instantly)".

So yeah, I guess your "challenge" revealed that Bill didn't know the term. But apparently he knows it is an issue and would change it instantly. Sounds pretty important to me.

Maybe I'm just dense, but please show what "conventional thinking" you are challenging. That quad dominance is an issue in drive mechanics and will hold a pitcher back? That elite pitchers use anything other than IR mechanics? That you know anything about pitching?

Let me know which you wish to challenge and we can have a debate about it. Otherwise, troll somewhere else. Thanks.

Aug 21, 2008
What message? That Bill didn't know the term "quad dominance"? So? He recognized the problem and knew the solutions for it. A ton of very good pitching coaches don't know or use the term "internal rotation" but teach it just the same. So Hillhouse didn't know the term "quad dominant" but he knew exactly what it looked like. Your message was stupid and pointless, like most of your posts.

DNeeld, I think Texas was talking about a different post on a different thread. But maybe I'm the dense one. :)

Feb 15, 2017
These are excellent points, Ray.

Yes. Most of the research into quad dominance that I have seen and read relates to basketball.
Actually quad dominance and lack of activating the glutes starts down at the feet and works its way up. Someone before has posted about Chong Zie and his work not only basketball players but runners and MMA athletes in the past.

DD broke her leg and tore two ligaments in her ankle and part of her recovery has been to utilize some of Dr. Chong's methods. (She's also learned that you never start your slide two feet from the base.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
Actually quad dominance and lack of activating the glutes starts down at the feet and works its way up. Someone before has posted about Chong Zie and his work not only basketball players but runners and MMA athletes in the past.

Chong Zie and the hyperarch mechanic is what I've read the most about on this subject.

Hope your DD makes a full and speedy recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45