monkey butt and quad dominance, Are they linked?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Is monkey butt a result of being quad dominant and not just a clearing technique to prevent hitting yourself with the ball?

Apr 12, 2015
Monkey butt has a lot of causes, most originate from a pitcher being taught or told at some point they need to "get open" in order to pitch.

I'm not sure quad dominance would have a lot to do with it.

Jan 6, 2018
It’s a byproduct of being taught to get on top of the ball rather than leading with the elbow. How else can you throw it anywhere near the plate if you don’t get your butt out of the way?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Monkey butt has a lot of causes, most originate from a pitcher being taught or told at some point they need to "get open" in order to pitch.

I'm not sure quad dominance would have a lot to do with it.

I agree that sometimes it’s also over rotating open. Which causes a bad posture.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If kids learned how to correctly throw underhand before they ever pitched., there would be minimal monkey butt. It's oil and water.

Apr 12, 2015
It has to do with drive thrust. A quad dominant athlete doesn't utilize their glute in the drive and instead uses their quad muscle to generate force. It results in a weaker, inefficient drive.

Aug 21, 2008
It has to do with drive thrust. A quad dominant athlete doesn't utilize their glute in the drive and instead uses their quad muscle to generate force. It results in a weaker, inefficient drive.

Thank you. I'm still having a hard time picturing it but, I appreciate the reply. Obviously I know what all the words mean, and the body parts but, I'm not grasping the concept.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad