Missing High Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Rising junior that has a cannon and great swing. Average receiver that’s not scared to work. Talking to her she misses or drops a lot of high pitches. She thinks that her forearm flashes infront of her eyes. Thoughts? Chance to be D1. Not my DD

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Need either a picture or description of how she is prepairing to receive the pitch.

Here is some general feedback.

This can cause issues.
Sideways bent arm
(elbow east/west)
(thumb pointing down)
starting close to chest...
Creates a position with a lot of mechanics to re-adjust just to get glove to pitch location.
Also starting close to chest and then popping arm/glove out can paddle the ball away.

Prefer Strong arm out
Elbow underneath.
Fingers up.
Thumb east/west
(think like a stop hand sign)
(not thumb pointing down)

*Much easier to simply use shoulder muscles to easily move arm/ glove straight up.
Easier to frame also.
Web of glove goes up
simple wrist shave cuts off top of strikezone.
*Much less movement needed to get to the pitch.

Btw this is also easier to turn glove under for dirt pitches using the ball in socket shoulder joint.
And
Getting around inside pitches for framing!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
She has played one game with us and I mentioned to the guy that works with our catchers that she missed several rise balls and it surprised me because she’s very good. His response was what I posted above.

Jan 28, 2017
Need either a picture or description of how she is prepairing to receive the pitch.

Here is some general feedback.

This can cause issues.
Sideways bent arm
(elbow east/west)
(thumb pointing north)
starting close to chest...
Creates a position with a lot of mechanics to re-adjust just to get glove to pitch location.
Also starting close to chest and then popping arm/glove out can paddle the ball away.

Prefer Strong arm out
Ebow down
Fingers up.
Thumb east/west
(think like a stop hand sign)
(not thumb pointing down)

*Much easier to simply use shoulder muscles to easily move glove straight up.
Easier to frame also.
Web of glove goes up
simple wrist shave cuts off top of strikezone.
Much less movement need to get to the pitch.

Btw this is also easier to turn glove under for dirt pitches using the ball in socket shoulder joint.
And
Getting around inside pitches for framing!

I caught a lot when in HS and younger. I was taught by a D1 college coach to think of your index finger as a knife and cut the edge of the ball with your index, same as wrist deal?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I caught a lot when in HS and younger. I was taught by a D1 college coach to think of your index finger as a knife and cut the edge of the ball with your index, same as wrist deal?
Sounds same.
Interesting knife finger!
Very precision :)

Jan 24, 2021
Does she have more trouble on the high pitch on a certain side, glove side vs throwing side? My 10 year old will sometimes drop the pitch high and to her right, throwing side. She doesn’t always take a direct path to the ball and will kind of go out then up. Just something we’ve noticed.

Jan 28, 2017
Does she have more trouble on the high pitch on a certain side, glove side vs throwing side? My 10 year old will sometimes drop the pitch high and to her right, throwing side. She doesn’t always take a direct path to the ball and will kind of go out then up. Just something we’ve noticed.

Not sure

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Without more feedback or picture
General feedback~

That can also be a symptom of starting with bent elbow sideways arm.

Because arm sideways means elbow bent makes glove hand point east/west.
Even if to just straighten the arm it would go further east/west
But not up.

Up is shoulder muscles.
(elbow does not move arm/glove up)

Starting Sideways creates more mechanical adjustments to reach majority of pitch locations.
Outside low will be easiest because elbow has arm already bent to the side.

Strong arm out
Reaches all locations smoothly.
(not arm bent elbow sideways)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802