Middle School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah she is about to go into 6th grade and they offer it here. From my perspective I think it may give her some growing opportunities not just from a playing perspective but a school ball perspective. I guess a taste of it, what its like to be on that kind of team. I also think it may give her some playing time in positions that she may not be as familiar with.
I wouldn’t worry about it from a development perspective..any she gets will be gravy. Does she want to play and if yes is she having a good time (in terms of deciding whether to play the following year..) ?

Oct 14, 2019
After pitching JV this year and having catchers who have never played there before, DD’s affection for pitching is seriously waning.

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn’t worry about it from a development perspective..any she gets will be gravy. Does she want to play and if yes is she having a good time (in terms of deciding whether to play the following year..) ?
I've asked her a while back if she was wanting to try it out, and she said she doesn't know LOL. I really haven't asked her recently, though. Was just getting the feel from others if it was worth it and if they feel it benefited their DD's.

Oct 14, 2019
I am sure it was no walk in the park for those catchers either..
very true. Varsity has 4 or 5 catchers. Coach brought a P down from varsity the other day because she throws hard but has been walking every batter. She needed to get her mojo back. Coach brought down a C for her. Both played well and we won easily. DD was happy to play in the field.

Jun 8, 2016
very true. Varsity has 4 or 5 catchers. Coach brought a P down from varsity the other day because she throws hard but has been walking every batter. She needed to get her mojo back. Coach brought down a C for her. Both played well and we won easily. DD was happy to play in the field.
I gave DD one piece of catching advice..keep your throwing hand behind your ankle and leave it there..

Oct 14, 2019
Part of it also is that the coaches don’t want her to play in the field when she’s not pitching. A lot of coaches want pitchers only.
We’re also seeing with a lot of girls pitching at Varsity that they don’t bat. Coaches use DP to get other players involved.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In our county, MS runs the same time as HS ball and games are only on Sundays. Each MS if they can usually has 3 teams and would be rated as A B and C. "A" team would play in the top tier, B second and C last. The tiers were based on how you thought you would do so in theory you have your 8th grade teams as top tier, 7th and then 6th. But the teams were set by the coaches so if you were a good 6th grader you could still play on the A team. Or if you were not as good if you were an 8th grader you might play on the C team.
If you plan to play in HS, it's a good opportunity to see who your teammates would be and who you'll be playing against as you move up. And at least our program played on the HS fields so that was fun for the girls.

But we do have some players on HS that didn't play MS so it doesn't necessarily matter.
The past couple of years we've actually had the MS program work alongside our HS program with the coaches so they are getting exposure that way. Not sure how other schools do it but we've been trying to really get more involved with Rec, then MS and up to HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812