Middle School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Is it important for players to play MS ball, especially if they have a goal of playing or trying out for the HS in the future? I know I personally never played MS ball, just played in HS.

Oct 2, 2017
I am guessing it will be situational, depending on the sports politics of your district, how connected the HS coach is to the MS programs, how many MS's or HS's there are, etc.
Not quite sure how connected they are. I need to look into that. There are 2 HS and 2 middle schools.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to? My DD played this year and sat the bench as one of the few 6th graders to make it. She was proud she made it and now has a goal to work towards.
Typically they don't allow 6th graders to play MS sports here but they didn't have enough players so DD played.
They stunk and she had to catch half the time (which she had never done in her life) so that was worrisome just from a safety perspective. Also the other thing that is worrisome is if the coach is so bad that they coach them up the wrong way..but this is something you have to be able to deal sometimes so you might as well get used to it. Luckily the coach pretty much left DD alone. Despite all of this DD seemed to enjoy herself so it was worth it.

Oct 2, 2017
I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to? My DD played this year and sat the bench as one of the few 6th graders to make it. She was proud she made it and now has a goal to work towards.
This wasn't a question of whether I want to, but whether its something that she should really consider concerning her goals and the direction she wants to take. I'm here to support and give directional nudges LOL

Oct 2, 2017
Typically they don't allow 6th graders to play MS sports here but they didn't have enough players so DD played.
They stunk and she had to catch half the time (which she had never done in her life) so that was worrisome just from a safety perspective. Also the other thing that is worrisome is if the coach is so bad that they coach them up the wrong way..but this is something you have to be able to deal sometimes so you might as well get used to it. Luckily the coach pretty much left DD alone. Despite all of this DD seemed to enjoy herself so it was worth it.
Yeah she is about to go into 6th grade and they offer it here. From my perspective I think it may give her some growing opportunities not just from a playing perspective but a school ball perspective. I guess a taste of it, what its like to be on that kind of team. I also think it may give her some playing time in positions that she may not be as familiar with.

Oct 10, 2018
YMMV. If I had to do all over again DD would NOT play MS ball - the level of play, training and coaching was horrible. TB coaches wanted her to make them a priority, the school wanted her to make them a priority - an awful tug of war she couldn't win and wound up making both coaches upset as she tried to balance both teams. Even if the MS coach is "in" with the JV/V coaches it doesn't matter, players who can play make JV/V.

Oct 14, 2019
In central Florida, pretty much none of the public middle schools offer softball. The middle schools do have volleyball, soccer, track and basketball. Some schools are jr/sr highs and 7th and 8th graders can play JV/V. Same for private schools. The level of JV play and coaching is variable and can be pretty bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802