Middle School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
In my dd's case back in the day, our ms team did not have a school funded team. A couple of parents started a "club" team for the middle school kids. Only kids from the MS could try out and initially it was for 7th and 8th graders only. They did not get enough kids from 7th and 8th grade to field a team so they reached out to certain 6th graders to fill out the roster. The team was totally funded out of the parents' pockets. The MS assumed no liability. We were not even allowed to use the school name. We played both school teams and other club teams. This had nothing to do with being a select/travel team. This had all to do with getting the MS kids ready for HS.

Feb 7, 2014
It's good to hear that there are middle school teams that are sponsored/sanctioned by the middle schools themselves.

Jun 1, 2013
It's good to hear that there are middle school teams that are sponsored/sanctioned by the middle schools themselves.

I am just guessing here but I think the vast majority of schools sponsor middle school ball and your area is in the minority.

Feb 7, 2014
I am just guessing here but I think the vast majority of schools sponsor middle school ball and your area is in the minority.

Yes, that seems to be the case. There's rec. options (little league, babe ruth), travel, and what I referred to as 'middle school softball' in my locale.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
In Alabama we have school sponsored MS softball and pretty much every other sport. They follow pretty much the same timeline starting up as HS teams but typically finish by the end of March. We do not have a state tourney but at least in our area we do have a county tourney.

Middle school kids can also play JV and varsity for the school they feed to as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of games set by the state athletic association.

Feb 7, 2013
In Los Angeles, because of budget cuts to the public school system, it seems like only the private middle schools can afford to sponsor softball and other sports programs. Pretty sad, when I was in public middle school we had track and field, basketball, tennis, wrestling, and I believe a softball program.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In our area "feeder teams", comprised of middle schoolers (6-8 grade) have become very popular. While they are technically not part of the HS program a lot of the high school coaches have embraced the idea and allow their feeder team to practice on their field. A couple of the local high school coaches were slow to adopt and the teams were forced to use local rec fields.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In Los Angeles, because of budget cuts to the public school system, it seems like only the private middle schools can afford to sponsor softball and other sports programs. Pretty sad, when I was in public middle school we had track and field, basketball, tennis, wrestling, and I believe a softball program.

Players on our feeder teams pay fees that cover the costs of the program, just like the high school players pay fees to participate on the high school team. The fees can be more than TB when you consider the HS season is only 3 months long.

Nov 3, 2012
In our part of Indiana, our high school loosely organizes a middle school club team. Its not an official school program, and a dad gets a stipend to coach. Its just 10 games, and costs about $175.

Mar 11, 2015
In Shelby County in Memphis, TN we do not have a sanctioned league. We DO have middle school teams but they are not sanctioned by the TSSAA. We have an agreement that we will do our best to fill the team with girls that either go to your school OR are going to the connected HS. We get complete support from our HS coach and use their field as well. We are completely funded through the fees to play and order our own uniforms, pay for insurance, umps, etc. We will play roughly 15-16 games plus a tourney at the end of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore