Middle Infield Throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Hi All,

Working with my 10u daughter who is moving to 12u in the fall.

She plays primarily SS. She has fallen into a bad habit of turning her wrist inward at release like a screwball motion. I’ve taped her delivery in slow motion and it looks exactly like an overhand pitcher throwing a screwball. The throws are fairly accurate so I didn’t want to mess with her until the season ended.

Anyway, we can’t seem to get it from her brain to her body about pulling downward at release and not rotating the hand inward. As soon as she wants to put a little extra on the ball she subconsciously reverts back to the screwball release. Moving up to the bigger ball and with faster baserunners she’s going to need to correct this to be successful at the next level.

I’ve tried I’ve tried multiple things to correct but can’t breakthrough. Does anyone have any cues I can give her or thoughts on how to address?

Oct 26, 2019
Without seeing the video it’s hard to diagnose because when you throw overhand your do pronate that way after release.

May 23, 2015
Despite the wrist flickers thoughts thrown balls never have a 6 to 12 spin. Sounds like pronation. Maybe its slightly exaggerated because the weight of the ball or a limp wrist

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I’ve tried I’ve tried multiple things to correct but can’t breakthrough. Does anyone have any cues I can give her or thoughts on how to address?
[/QUOTE]

So we don't duplicate, what have you tried to correct this?

Jul 22, 2015
I'd like to see the ball spin. As others have said, usually pronation is a good thing. I've seen many more girls with the opposite problem.

Aug 3, 2019
Spin is 3-9 or maybe 2-8.

I’ve tried a few things—

—getting the thumb a little more under her middle finger

—Having her stand close and focus on pulling down on the seam during release.

—Water bottle drill

Not sure if any of those are ideal but I’m trying to find the right mental trigger. I will try to take and upload a video.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
google youtube: Nate Trosky throw release. Has several good videos. Some are advanced but some are simple. Towel drill is a good one for example.

Jul 22, 2015
Spin is 3-9 or maybe 2-8.

I’ve tried a few things—

—getting the thumb a little more under her middle finger

—Having her stand close and focus on pulling down on the seam during release.

—Water bottle drill

Not sure if any of those are ideal but I’m trying to find the right mental trigger. I will try to take and upload a video.
The only time I've seen that the girl was releasing with more of a push and was throwing somewhat "inside-out". I'd be sure her hand isn't inside the ball and too close to ear vs more of a 90 degree angle to her elbow. Also may want to try and cue her to be sure she feels like she's throwing downhill vs flat. Sometimes the mental picture of throwing "down" eliminates pushing.