Meetings with Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2018
Hoping for advice from more experienced parents. My DD is a freshman at a smaller D1. They have had 2 coach meetings this fall. one at the beginning of October and 1 this past week. at the first meeting they talked about playing time, etc. coach told DD she was doing great and would get a lot of playing time in the fall. Great news! They had a 2nd meeting he told her he was proud of her, how far she has come and basically to keep up the great work. Then the next day he kinda caught her off guard while she was doing extra hitting in their facility and said like oh I forgot to ask you if the season started tomorrow, where do you see yourself on the team? my DD is a big time perfectionist and is super hard on herself and she said I feel like I have a few things I need to fix before I can be a starter but once I get those down I'll be good and I could see myself batting 7th. I'm just really worried that the coach is basically going to write her off now. my husband sees nothing wrong with what she said. she definitely deserves to be playing. I'm very honest about her abilities and on this team she should be playing. I'd say so if that were not the case. curious on opinions!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2015
Nothing to worry about. A good coach will appreciate her being hard on herself and her extra work. AFAIC, freshman shouldn't expect any playing time let alone starting unless they earn it which is what I told my daughter who is also a freshman, but due to other teammate injuries, it looks like this spring it will just be her and the sophomore to pitch all 56+ games, so playing time is no longer a concern.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I believe you're over-thinking. I don't see anything wrong with what you described. I don't know why any coach would "write off" a player giving that answer. It's much better than "I'm ready now...don't know why I'm not in the lineup". :p

Aug 7, 2018
Thanks, I probably should have mentioned she did start this fall and was in the lineup but she's just super hard on herself.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Nothing but love, but this ain't your party any more. You are hearing 1% or less of what is going on between her, the coach and the team.

Trust her to know what she is doing.

She might start. She might not. There is nothing you can do about it. Let it go.

You need to be focusing on her school and her plans after college.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018
That was a great reply to the question posed by coach. I think most players would give that type of answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
she said I feel like I have a few things I need to fix before I can be a starter but once I get those down I'll be good and I could see myself batting 7th.

She gave a great response.

Admitted that there's work to do (as always), that as a freshman she needs to earn her spot, but also expressed optimism in her abilities, putting herself in the lineup.

Humble, confident, hard worker.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
There's nothing wrong with this answer as long as it's realistic. Not perfect, but realistic.

If she's by far the worst player on the team and she says that, it might tell the coach this player thinks her stuff don't stink.

If she's the best player on the team and she says that, it could signal confidence issues.

Either way, I don't a coach is making any final decisions based on her response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45