Marking your game field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
On sharing field equipment ,,, When I started at one school the softball equipment was trash ... I asked the AD for new stuff and he said he would put it on the list but wondered why I just didn't borrow baseballs equipment instead ... The baseball coach was very nice and lent me his paint wagon and his old 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After fixing his paint wagon it worked fine, after one use I returned it in working order and thanked him ... He told me I could keep the 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After trying to use it, I was left wondering what I had ever done to the baseball coach that he would lend me that piece of crap... It was impossible to push it in a straight line over any distance greater than a batters box ... I couldn't think of anyone I hated enough to lend it to and deposited in the school dumpster. They were among the first things I purchased in the budget ... That summer, the AD asked me if Football could borrow the paint wagon ... He said the football coach had been trying to get in touch with me ( LIE ) ... I agreed and brought the paint wagon to the football coaches office as a favor to the AD ... Fast forward through football season and countless e mails trying to get the paint wagon back, I finally found it near the football field in an equipment storage room under a bunch of other crap ... After cleaning it up and doing necessary general maintenance to it, it never again left the softball field or storage area. The football coach never acknowledged the loaner or said so much as hi, by or kiss my arse.

I can't believe football couldn't buy their own, with as much painting they need to do. Those robots are like $300/month plus I think like $100 year for the GPS service. Soccer and softball play at the same time and our fields share a fence, so sharing with them would be easy. The baseball field is a short drive. Maybe a half mile but most of that is parking lot. I hate loaning anything out. We've borrowed baseball's drag a couple times, but the ones we have are mostly OK.

We're trying to get some turf to do our 50 x 25 outdoor cage and a couple pitching warmup strips maybe 6 x 50 or so. One of my fellow softball obsessed dads found a place a couple hours away selling used soccer turf cut to size for cheap. Gonna bring that up at the boosters meeting tonight. Our cage looks so crappy. If a cage could be haunted, that's what ours looks like. We gotta get some things spruced up so the kids will want to use them. Sort-of a "If you build it, they will come" kind of thing.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Yup. The baseball team and softball team need separate stuff. Just saves a ton of headaches and pissed off people.

Agreed, but I wasn't PO'ed ... I chalked it up (pun intended) to lesson learned. If you want to see PO'ed, ask me about what I think about how different sports are treated by HS Athletic Trainers.

Jan 25, 2022
Yup. The baseball team and softball team need separate stuff. Just saves a ton of headaches and pissed off people.

One thing HC has brought up is going the Title IX route. Baseball has a few things we don't have so we should be able to get those if they were paid for by the county. It's just hard to collect enough gate and concessions money to do much more than pay the umps and bus costs. We also desperately need clay bricks for the circle and batter's boxes. May be able to get those from the buildings and grounds folks. They deliver a crapload of chalk and turface every spring.

Jan 25, 2022
Agreed, but I wasn't PO'ed ... I chalked it up (pun intended) to lesson learned. If you want to see PO'ed, ask me about what I think about how different sports are treated by HS Athletic Trainers.

Please tell. We have one or two for the school that is available in the evenings for ice visits and such. My kid is the only one I've ever seen visit, and she went in with mild arm soreness and came out with a giant ice pack strapped on her shoulder.

Oct 4, 2018

How are different sports treated differently by Athletic Trainers in HS?

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
How are different sports treated differently by Athletic Trainers in HS?

One comparison ... Every Friday night our AT and her staff is on the fields sidelines for every football game as they should be ... They're running on the field every time a player is slow to get up ... Every banged up finger, knee, ankle is evaluated and taped. One Friday night I have a key player roll an ankle sliding into third base and the AT happens to be walking by the field on her way to the baseball field ... I call out to her, Suzie has rolled her ankle, I've got some tape and we have ice ... Can you take a quick look at it to see if she can go ? Her response, "Tell her to see me Monday".

Jan 25, 2022
One comparison ... Every Friday night our AT and her staff is on the fields sidelines for every football game as they should be ... They're running on the field every time a player is slow to get up ... Every banged up finger, knee, ankle is evaluated and taped. One Friday night I have a key player roll an ankle sliding into third base and the AT happens to be walking by the field on her way to the baseball field ... I call out to her, Suzie has rolled her ankle, I've got some tape and we have ice ... Can you take a quick look at it to see if she can go ? Her response, "Tell her to see me Monday".
Oh snap.

There's no glory in softball though. She would just look like a basic mom out there checking on her baby.

Nov 15, 2019
At my daughter's small high school she actually has an athletic trainer in her dugout for every or almost every home game.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2