Marking your game field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
Agreed, but I wasn't PO'ed ... I chalked it up (pun intended) to lesson learned. If you want to see PO'ed, ask me about what I think about how different sports are treated by HS Athletic Trainers.

One comparison ... Every Friday night our AT and her staff is on the fields sidelines for every football game as they should be ... They're running on the field every time a player is slow to get up ... Every banged up finger, knee, ankle is evaluated and taped. One Friday night I have a key player roll an ankle sliding into third base and the AT happens to be walking by the field on her way to the baseball field ... I call out to her, Suzie has rolled her ankle, I've got some tape and we have ice ... Can you take a quick look at it to see if she can go ? Her response, "Tell her to see me Monday".

I bet everyone can guess what the hierarchy of high school sports.

Football, Basketball........Track&Field...............baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, swimming, soccer, bowling, rugby, field hockey, ice hockey, badminton, golf and archery ........ Men then women

The list would be the same regardless of the topic: Funding, Attendance, Schools Assemblies, Support Personnel, Boosters, how fast you get a return email/phone call, ETC.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I bet everyone can guess what the hierarchy of high school sports.

Football, Basketball........Track&Field...............baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, swimming, soccer, bowling, rugby, field hockey, ice hockey, badminton, golf and archery ........ Men then women

The list would be the same regardless of the topic: Funding, Attendance, Schools Assemblies, Support Personnel, Boosters, how fast you get a return email/phone call, ETC.

I understand the spirit of your list, and agree that football is at the top nationwide in funding and popularity. And basketball is probably next nationwide. Football, basketball, baseball are the three most widely covered and popular sports in the US.

After that, there are probably some significant regional differences – hockey in the Northeast for example would be way higher on the list – it’s phenomenally expensive, well funded (even with a ton of private fundraising), and popular (well attended). Lacrosse is also very expensive and well funded. I don’t see track being as high as you imply nationwide anyway…here it’s cheap (in fact the cheapest on a per student athlete basis), and attendance outside the occasional parent is zero, and nobody in the US gives a damn about T&F except for 1 week every 4 years in August.

Just for kicks, here's a link to how one town (one of the wealthiest in CT) spreads its HS's $1.5M budget (from 2017):

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
Fresno
Hello,

It is common knowledge that certain high school sports are given more attention and resources than others. In the realm of ice hockey, the hierarchy may include the most popular sports like football and basketball at the top, followed by sports like track and field, wrestling, and cross country.

Lower on the list may be ice hockey, field hockey, soccer, and swimming, with sports like badminton, golf, and archery at the bottom. This hierarchy may be reflected in factors such as funding, attendance, school assemblies, support personnel, booster programs, and the speed of response from coaches and administrators.

Thanks & Regards
Luna
icehockeyguide.com

May 29, 2015
AI training? First post was back in 2021 though ... It didn't have all the earmarks this one does.

My students have ruined me. Not because they do it often, but because it is so painfully obvious.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101