Marking your game field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
How many of you that prepare your own game field, use chalk or do you use the paint for your foul lines, batter's box, etc....your preference and why?

Jun 1, 2015
For the 16U Rec. league I run/coach in - for my team, I will do all of my foul/dead ball/runner's lane/batting circle lines in spray paint (we don't have a fully-skimmed infield - it's a softball (dirt) infield but with grass along the baselines (annoying, but the best we have). This way I only need to touch up those lines once or twice a season (over 5-6 weeks). For the infield, I drag my fields and then line them with chalk using string, etc. I actually find it really relaxing, oddly-enough. My girls have been at our field early before our weeknight games and think I'm weird because of how much time I put into something that will get messed up afterward, but I look at it like a chef making an intricate meal before it hits the table.

Jan 25, 2022
Replying super late for fun since I ddn't see this.

We fight our field endlessly in many ways. We paint if possible but it's not easy to dampen the dirt with the way we're oriented and our hose is an absolute turd that's one psi short of being PVC pipe. Our chalk wagon is a piece of shiznit with a bad wheel and tendency to clump terribly. The HS coach once cussed it and kicked it over pre-game right in front of our visiting team.

We paint the foul lines regardless. We'd like to lease a paint robot and share the cost with soccer/baseball/football but I have a feeling it would be a huge hassle to figure out who has it, procure it in time for games, etc.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I chalk the dirt areas and paint the grass areas.

Because, IMHO chalk lasts longer on dirt and paint lasts longer on grass

Oct 4, 2018
For the 16U Rec. league I run/coach in - for my team, I will do all of my foul/dead ball/runner's lane/batting circle lines in spray paint (we don't have a fully-skimmed infield - it's a softball (dirt) infield but with grass along the baselines (annoying, but the best we have). This way I only need to touch up those lines once or twice a season (over 5-6 weeks). For the infield, I drag my fields and then line them with chalk using string, etc. I actually find it really relaxing, oddly-enough. My girls have been at our field early before our weeknight games and think I'm weird because of how much time I put into something that will get messed up afterward, but I look at it like a chef making an intricate meal before it hits the table.

I find it relaxing as well, with the assumption it's not 3 minutes before the start of the game. :p

I mostly prefer chalk and string, but have used paint plenty as well. Either work fine.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I lined the fields for a small D3 college field complex. Lime on the infield and paint on the grass is the best way to go if you have time. However paint on the infield will work if there is some dampness there, if the dirt is dry you can barely see the paint. Paint stores better, is less messy and the machine is lighter and cheaper. Lime looks professional but paint can work and is easier overall.

Dragging the field is another story. It's easy if you have a machine, if you're doing it by hand the best thing to do is have the team do at the end of practice. When I was coaching varsity and maintaining the field we had a short scrimmage or some sort of game at the end of practice and the losing team had to drag the field. That made for some spirited competition!!!!

Oct 4, 2018

We fight our field endlessly in many ways. We paint if possible but it's not easy to dampen the dirt with the way we're oriented and our hose is an absolute turd that's one psi short of being PVC pipe. Our chalk wagon is a piece of shiznit with a bad wheel and tendency to clump terribly. The HS coach once cussed it and kicked it over pre-game right in front of our visiting team.

We paint the foul lines regardless. We'd like to lease a paint robot and share the cost with soccer/baseball/football but I have a feeling it would be a huge hassle to figure out who has it, procure it in time for games, etc.

No idea what chalk wagon you have, but I was able to replace a clunky wheel with one from Home Depot for about $15. Made a big improvement.

Jan 25, 2022
No idea what chalk wagon you have, but I was able to replace a clunky wheel with one from Home Depot for about $15. Made a big improvement.

No idea. It's probably like, a playskool model for toddlers or something. Or maybe dollar general brand. I don't know why HS hasnt ordered another one yet. They aren't expensive. I'm gonna go into the boosters meeting tonight with a list. A new hose, too. I hate cheap hoses more than I can even describe.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA

On sharing field equipment ,,, When I started at one school the softball equipment was trash ... I asked the AD for new stuff and he said he would put it on the list but wondered why I just didn't borrow baseballs equipment instead ... The baseball coach was very nice and lent me his paint wagon and his old 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After fixing his paint wagon it worked fine, after one use I returned it in working order and thanked him ... He told me I could keep the 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After trying to use it, I was left wondering what I had ever done to the baseball coach that he would lend me that piece of crap... It was impossible to push it in a straight line over any distance greater than a batters box ... I couldn't think of anyone I hated enough to lend it to and deposited in the school dumpster. They were among the first things I purchased in the budget ... That summer, the AD asked me if Football could borrow the paint wagon ... He said the football coach had been trying to get in touch with me ( LIE ) ... I agreed and brought the paint wagon to the football coaches office as a favor to the AD ... Fast forward through football season and countless e mails trying to get the paint wagon back, I finally found it near the football field in an equipment storage room under a bunch of other crap ... After cleaning it up and doing necessary general maintenance to it, it never again left the softball field or storage area. The football coach never acknowledged the loaner or said so much as hi, by or kiss my arse.

Oct 4, 2018
On sharing field equipment ,,, When I started at one school the softball equipment was trash ... I asked the AD for new stuff and he said he would put it on the list but wondered why I just didn't borrow baseballs equipment instead ... The baseball coach was very nice and lent me his paint wagon and his old 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After fixing his paint wagon it worked fine, after one use I returned it in working order and thanked him ... He told me I could keep the 2 wheel chalk wagon ... After trying to use it, I was left wondering what I had ever done to the baseball coach that he would lend me that piece of crap... It was impossible to push it in a straight line over any distance greater than a batters box ... I couldn't think of anyone I hated enough to lend it to and deposited in the school dumpster. They were among the first things I purchased in the budget ... That summer, the AD asked me if Football could borrow the paint wagon ... He said the football coach had been trying to get in touch with me ( LIE ) ... I agreed and brought the paint wagon to the football coaches office as a favor to the AD ... Fast forward through football season and countless e mails trying to get the paint wagon back, I finally found it near the football field in an equipment storage room under a bunch of other crap ... After cleaning it up and doing necessary general maintenance to it, it never again left the softball field or storage area. The football coach never acknowledged the loaner or said so much as hi, by or kiss my arse.

Yup. The baseball team and softball team need separate stuff. Just saves a ton of headaches and pissed off people.