Maintaining prober elbow separation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
1. Make sure the rear forearm is flat at toe touch. (Of course make sure the bat head is up approx 50 deg, and not flat)

View attachment 24326

2. Then make sure the hands stay near the armpit until hip slot. (Make sure the bat head moves with the back elbow, no slop)
View attachment 24327

Your hitters will be better than any team you face for the rest of their life.

Manny is doing a style, hands at the back shoulder or even and perhaps slightly ahead of the back shoulder. Including the bat position. Also, this is an inside pitch where the hands get in front of the back shoulder.

It is different then Freeman’s hands being behind the back shoulder.

F78104B8-B060-42FA-A676-E68570F80205.gif

06DF19D6-A249-47A4-B267-CAE18BFFB3CD.gif

Here is Manny with the hands a little farther back and not so much bat wrap.

[1636096517689.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looking for some drills to help young girls maintain proper elbow separation.

Since we are talking bat drag and using the arms to swing. Place a rubber ball between the arms and the body. I’ll show you tomorrow. Therefor the hands will do the work.

This helps maintain the box and feeds the problem by keeping tension between the elbows/arms.

You can even find exercise bands where you can create a stretch between the arms/elbows.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Gradum guys talk about independent elbows. Not sure how or what they teach but would like to hear more about it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
View attachment 24329

Any drills that you do or know of to help them maintain that posture up until hip slot.
What you will get from many of these members is that drills don't work, and only specific work will work. I get it, but it isn't helpful for someone like you just trying to learn. Sure some drills are harmful, but one mans junk is another mans treasure.

In any case, i like eFastballs simple comments of keeping rear forearm flat and hands at armpit. That is something you can easily watch for during any hitting, doesn't need drill work to watch for. Many of hitters issues are starting the swing before toe touch and the hitters hands are dropping and the barrel is flattening. DBSF - drop barrel swing flat driven mainly because of early hand/arm/barrel movement, doesn't allow the swing to be leveraged.

That being said. I like the Reverse Top Hand Drill. Simple and effective. combines the top hand only and bottom hand only drills. The hitter can't swing without keeping the top hand in front of the back elbow. Do not grip with the thumb. See picture below. Open top hand, just inverted. I cannot find the actual video i like, it was a high school baseball coach working with a kid showing this drill. But the grip is the important part. Just use with tee work and front toss. See how you like it and change as needed.

Here is a link from an older post but still relevant IMO.
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/posts/204645
1636115637194.png

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2021-1105-hands2.gif

This is what I mean when I say MLB hitter's hands stay relatively close to their armpit until hip slot (upper arm is vertical).

If the hands go:
1. back - that's bat drag (version 2 of bat drag is where hands start at armpit and elbow goes way forward)
2. forward to pitcher- that's pushing/arms/hands to ball/extension (this is every swing down clip)
3. way out toward plate - that's casting

I have revealed too much in this thread. There's $10,000 worth of lessons here. :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Since we are talking bat drag and using the arms to swing. Place a rubber ball between the arms and the body. I’ll show you tomorrow. Therefor the hands will do the work.

This helps maintain the box and feeds the problem by keeping tension between the elbows/arms.

You can even find exercise bands where you can create a stretch between the arms/elbows.

I didn’t forget about showing the rubber ball. I was busy all day, give me a second.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22