LynkSpyder pouch for battery charger?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
One thing we have been playing with is mounting the bag on the upper slot and hanging over the camera. Shades a GoPro from the sun. Also reduces the profile on the fence.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I'm a bit concerned for June/July when all my gear starts overheating. :(

Last year was certainly the year we saw more heat related issues. A few things led to this:
Our high season is generally in the March/April period (you know, right now...oy! No sleep and my hands hurt!). But because of COVID, our high season was June/July, when we are historically lower. This told me that most folks' spring and summer seasons were pushed back and compacted to the end of summer when it is hotter. Additionally, streaming was the hot (no pun intended) item because of spectator and travel limitations. So wireless activity in hot sun was proven to create severe issues. Hopefully with seasons on a regular schedule this year will help some of those issues. But here are a few things we really focus on to reduce heat:
1.) When at all possible, don't use wireless. Obviously this can't be done when streaming. But if you only need to record, turning off WiFi will save a huge amount of heat related issue.
2.) Always protect the LCD of the device from direct sunlight. The LCD absorbs a tremendous amount of heat and passes that heat on to the motherboard that is generally mounted right behind it. Just keeping the sun off will solve many issues. The pouch we talk about above works, but so does a hat or light colored towel. We even go as far as keeping we towels in an ice bath in a cooler. On a very hot day when before the camera starts to have issues, we put one of these towels in a zip top bag and lay over the camera. We then put towel or hat over that to make sure the sun doesn't steal the cool too quickly
3.) Don't run your device at max settings. While it may be possible to shoot in 5K, it will over tax your device. We do most things at 1080p, even when the cameras get larger chips. We do this because even though we shot 1080p back in the HERO4 Silver days, this same resolution is far better on the newer devices, and runs so much more efficient (though I will tell you that I never had a shutdown on the HERO4...not once).
4.) Make sure you use a micro SD card that is the highest speed you can fine. Don't focus on size over quality. It will burn you every time.

At the end of the day, heat will always be an issue with electronics. But there are certainly things you can do to mitigate most of the issues.