Lots of teams, but not organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure I like this. 5 out of 6 teams in the upper part of the bracket are Bomber teams. 6 out of 12 in the bracket are Bombers. Not hating on the Bombers. Just wish there were more different organizations. I'm not in the TB game in any more, but the last several events I went to I had no idea which team was who. I'm college coaches are confused too.

The issue is, you have to have someone that wants the responsibility to head up an organization even after their DD has moved on. DD's last coach only wanted to coach his team and did not want to deal with all the other teams in the program. Once he retired, the program fell apart. I know fringe coach like to have all the administrative stuff taken care. Website to purchase team gear. Name recognition. etc. But these same teams that merged would most likely still compete at the levels they are, but parents like shiny objects and can't help themselves.

Play on.

1668463829586.png

Jun 20, 2015
part of the things that I keep seeing, and NOT bashing the names, is the Franchise fee / Name type arrangements. Like Texas Glory. great org from what i've heard. But does that mean Texas Glory in Ohio is to same level??? again, NOT bashing the org, just a recent example i've seen.

There are Lady Dukes, Bat Busters, etc, teams all over the place now. It's just hard for me to imagine that all these teams being renamed, are at the same upper echelon level as the original namesakes.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
part of the things that I keep seeing, and NOT bashing the names, is the Franchise fee / Name type arrangements. Like Texas Glory. great org from what i've heard. But does that mean Texas Glory in Ohio is to same level??? again, NOT bashing the org, just a recent example i've seen.

There are Lady Dukes, Bat Busters, etc, teams all over the place now. It's just hard for me to imagine that all these teams being renamed, are at the same upper echelon level as the original namesakes.
They're not even close to the other top-tier teams. It's all done for money, which is fine for the owners of the franchise, but it's bad for the parents joining a team because of the name on the uniform.

The Thunderbolts have 11 premier teams and close to 50 franchise teams. That's not to say some of those franchise teams aren't good, but they're not playing on the front fields and getting a lot, if any, P5 commitments.

And don't get me started on the Lady Dukes. Exactly how many teams is Lamar coaching this season, 15?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Given the phenomenon of org franchising (which seems to have exploded in just the last couple of years), I think I’ve heard @RADcatcher suggest that the thing to pay closest attention to is the head coach of the team as well as what tournaments/pools they are playing in if you really want to know who is who in the zoo.

I agree that it is at least annoying to be in a tournament full of Batbuster, Fury Platinum, Lady Dukes, etc. Teams and really have no idea how good they are or aren’t without doing a bunch of research. Per a previous thread, there are still some orgs out there that “protect their brand” and seem to refuse to franchise outside of their home area.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure I like this. 5 out of 6 teams in the upper part of the bracket are Bomber teams. 6 out of 12 in the bracket are Bombers. Not hating on the Bombers. Just wish there were more different organizations. I'm not in the TB game in any more, but the last several events I went to I had no idea which team was who. I'm college coaches are confused too.

The issue is, you have to have someone that wants the responsibility to head up an organization even after their DD has moved on. DD's last coach only wanted to coach his team and did not want to deal with all the other teams in the program. Once he retired, the program fell apart. I know fringe coach like to have all the administrative stuff taken care. Website to purchase team gear. Name recognition. etc. But these same teams that merged would most likely still compete at the levels they are, but parents like shiny objects and can't help themselves.

Play on.

View attachment 26860
There have been tournaments held in Southern California where there was a limit, imposed by who was hosting the tournament, on how many of the same age bracket organizational team can play in the tournament. Kind of causes some dissension within the ranks of who gets those spots and who doesn't. Even some of those teams being told by the president of the org if you want to play tournaments go out of state.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Outside of the inconvenience of a coach not knowing whether they should start their ace or 8th starter against a Bombers team from Wyoming and parents perhaps paying more than they should, what sort of meaningful change would occur if all these lower level franchised teams went independent or were in a less known org? Ultimately the talent level is fixed..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee