Looking for thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I've always read and been told no more than 45 deg, but less is okay. DD is typically at 45deg. The local HS Varsity pitcher (who is very very good) is much more like the Monica Abbott style. As long your DD can establish a good strong break then I think it comes down to what works best for her. If she needs help not opening as much maybe try making her think about landing less than 45 on the toes (ala Abbott). She'd be forced to keep her hips more square to achieve that.

I'm a huge proponent of the "balance beam" as a tool for FSR and balance. If the break is weak, pitcher is striding off center (by a lot), or not staying square (monkey butt)...then they will step off. It's an instant feedback/consequence tool. We use a 2x8 for DD. Once the issue resolves we put it away for a bit, but is something we revisit multiple times throughout the year.
What is break?

Feb 25, 2020
My 14 DD is working on this currently. She was really turning that stride foot, losing balance and I was afraid of rolling the ankle.

Do you know any drills to improve the landing angle of the stride foot? Is the ideal angle 45 degrees or as close to straight as possible?

Thanks for any insight

I like the cue of snapping the foot down and really really digging the heel hard(foot lands out front a little but trying to work it back underneath pelvis). It is hard to land sideways with the heel landing first. Abbot is really a good model. Toe up, snapping foot down and digging heel hard. It is pure glutes and hammies(pure hip extension) moving the foot this way.

I would explain to her that the glutes are so important because they move both the femur and the pelvis. And the torso is attached to the pelvis so really the glutes are able to move both the legs and swing the torso. Very powerfully. So moving the foot like Abbot does, when that foot hits the ground, the leg stops moving so the pelvis starts tilting and swings/braces the torso in line with the femurs(hip extension).

This is another good model. IMO.

Edit to try and actually answer your question: you/she could cue this every single time she throws a ball underhand. Start with just playin catch havin her move her foot that way and work your way up to full speed.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
He throws it like it was a wiffle ball!

Ya I watch that one alot. Funny how some curve like 5 feet and some dont, just float. I like his mechanics for the NCAA rules too. Spin spin spin though.(both axis and rate)

If you just stand up, kick your foot out like youre striding...put your hand on your stride leg buttcheek and the snap your foot down like manley and abbot do... Should be no pushing the foot away or jumping IMO.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ya I watch that one alot. Funny how some curve like 5 feet and some dont, just float. I like his mechanics for the NCAA rules too. Spin spin spin though.(both axis and rate)

If you just stand up, kick your foot out like youre striding...put your hand on your stride leg buttcheek and the snap your foot down like manley and abbot do... Should be no pushing the foot away or jumping IMO.
I’m pretty sure he was transitioning from a curve to a rise.

Feb 25, 2020
I’m pretty sure he was transitioning from a curve to a rise.

I think he just threw a bad rise.

Edit: I'm interested if maybe @Hillhouse would chime in. All I throw are bad rises. And at like only 45 mph. You might be right Ken. Maybe Bill can shed some light on what's going on here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478