Looking for thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think he just threw a bad rise.

Edit: I'm interested if maybe @Hillhouse would chime in. All I throw are bad rises. And at like only 45 mph. You might be right Ken. Maybe Bill can shed some light on what's going on here.
I’m pretty sure Jeremy can spin a ball any way he chooses.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Can you post a link? Thanks!

It was back from when I first joined. So, I'll just re-type here. This progression drill was something DD's PC had her do. First on just a pitching mat and then eventually on a balance beam (2x8). The focus was to keep the shoulders/torso square as long as possible so the hips wouldn't open up too much. Goal to have hips at 45deg(ish) at release. DD would open up and look like a starfish and never get closed. Leading to the bowling leg/monkey butt and never being able to fire the hip, get brush, etc etc. Overtime this helped her stay stacked, be more aligned/balanced, and help with consistency/accuracy. The biggest thing we noted was her drag line. What was an exaggerated C is now a straight line with a minor curve at the end.

Here is how we go through the progression. It's worked for DD and we re-visit it now and again when bad habits start to creep back in. You'll need something like a PVC pipe, dowel rod, or something similar that can be held with both hands shoulder width apart. If you can cut the rod/pipe so there isn't much excess outside the hands or just cut it into two pieces that's ideal. You'll see why below.

Note: DD HATED this drill the first few times we did it. It's very uncomfortable for pitchers who get so open they can't close. The more we performed this drill the more comfortable she became and actually enjoys it now. Starting slow so your pitcher can get somewhat comfortable with steps #1 and #2 is okay. Then start pushing them to work at "game speed".

#1: Have the pitcher hold the dowel rod in both hands (shoulder width apart) with arms at shoulder height extended out to the target/catcher. The pitcher uses a walking/step stride going as close to game speed as they can. The arms/hands must stay extended out at shoulder height from stride to brake. Make them freeze and hold position at brake for a second or two. There may be a dip at initial push as the shoulders/torso lean forward, but they need to get back to shoulder height asap. Staying pointed at the target/catcher is key. Start a couple reps slow working up to full speed (as possible). It took 5-8 reps for DD to get somewhat comfortable. This locks the upper half to be square and doesn't allow the hips to open. Stride foot should be straight-to-45 and back foot aims to be laces forward the whole time. Strong brake. 10-15 reps.

#2: Have the pitcher hold the dowel rod in the middle with just the glove hand. Glove hand and arm stay extended out at the target/catcher at shoulder height. Pitcher now uses a walking/step stride and pitches without a ball. Glove arm has to stay pointed at target (at shoulder height) from stride to brake. Still working keeping shoulders and hip square as long as possible. But now the hip can open based on the arm motion. Goal is still hips at 45deg at release. Stride foot straight-to-45 and drag foot laces forward. Strong brake. 10-15 reps.

#3: Repeat step #2, but now add in a ball. 5-10 reps.

#4: Repeat step #3, but replace the dowel rod with pitchers glove. 5-10 reps.

#5: Live pitch using walk/step launch or normal stance and glove arm mechanics. No longer need to hold glove arm out the whole time. But, still focusing on keeping the shoulders and hips square as long as possible. Goal is still hips at 45deg at release. Stride foot straight-to-45 and drag foot laces forward. Strong brake. 5-10 reps.

Hopefully I've made it clear enough to understand. If not, feel free to ask questions. Easy to for me to read since I've seen this drill live for 2+ years. It's worked wonders for my DD. Ask questions. Provide feedback. Nitpick if it makes you feel better (/joke). Hopefully this can help someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28