Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Looking for thoughts, has anyone been through a similar situation with a coach

Nov 18, 2013
One of the things said to us by her hitting coach is that a lack of playing time on her HS team is a red flag. She said that in this situation she knows what's going on and recognizes that BS, but if it were at a school that she's not familiar with, she has to wonder why.
You need a new hitting coach. A freshman not getting playing time in HS means squat for recruiting.

Along with dumping your hitting coach distance yourself from all the people badmouthing the HS program. You’re all up in arms over things you’ve heard through the grapevine and no significant facts. Quit worrying what other kids are doing and keep the focus on your own. She’s a freshman. She made varsity. She’s getting some playing time. That’s awesome for a freshman!!!

May 1, 2021
Not trying to be a jerk. Can your daughter play at the college level? If so, what level?

I feel my daughter could play at a solid JUCO program or small four year school as a pitcher. She is a freshman and doesn't know if she is willing to move away from home to do that. Currently she is our number 3 on the varsity and starting 2nd baseman. The problem is the #1 and 2 are young also. All very good. We are ranked in the top 5 in state. DD is 3-0 and it's according to which day who is the best pitcher. We have no other 2nd baseman so she will not pitch much. She would never leave our school because she loves her teammates/classmates. Awesome kids.

I'm a former AD and we had a kid that played for a TB team that played everywhere and couldn't play HS and TB. She signed D1. My DD's HS has a kid that isn't playing HS baseball to get his scores up to attend an Ivy League school. Already committed. Times are different.
Valid question

Her hitting coach is our local JUCO head coach, she did her measurables last spring, as an 8th grader, her exit velocity and throwing velocity were above what she looks for in recruits for her team. Based on what I've read about where her measurables are tracking she should end up small to mid D-1 material on the high end, her biggest hurdle will be her size, I'm thinking she's gonna peak out at about 5'6". I'm hopeful that if she keeps her grades in great shape and she can continue being an excellent hitter, she may be able to move up the ladder a bit. She's signed up for a couple of prospect camps that should generate a more current picture of her measurable stats, one of them has some D1 schools attending, so that will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. She has a profile on sportsrecruits that has generated some interesting looks as far as which schools are checking out multiple videos and coming back multiple times to take a look.

We've made it a point to her that the important part of this is going to a school that fits what she wants to do and that getting as much of it paid for as possible is the goal. Honestly, I wouldn't care if she played her first two years with her hitting coach in JUCO, my job as her parent is to support her in pursuit of her goals and dreams.

I coached many different sports including being a varsity head coach for several years and I'm well aware of how out of touch many parents can be. I've really tried hard to stay as grounded as possible, relying on facts and numbers as much as possible because I know how hard it is to stay objective as a parent.

May 1, 2021
You need a new hitting coach. A freshman not getting playing time in HS means squat for recruiting.

Along with dumping your hitting coach distance yourself from all the people badmouthing the HS program. You’re all up in arms over things you’ve heard through the grapevine and no significant facts. Quit worrying what other kids are doing and keep the focus on your own. She’s a freshman. She made varsity. She’s getting some playing time. That’s awesome for a freshman!!!
Our hitting coach is our local JUCO head coach and she is sharing how she sees things when she's recruiting. Aside from this, she has really done a fantastic job cleaning up my daughter's swing from raw ability where she started to some very clean mechanics. I get what you're saying, but she is a good influence.

On the other front, I honestly have tried to stay away from all of it, but it's been eye opening to me how many people are pissed off on behalf of my daughter, who some of them don't really even know that well. I tried to come into all this with an open mind as far as the HC goes regardless of what I had heard, but she has really shown herself these past couple of weeks and sorry, but it's not a good look. Even if shirt were to do a 180 tomorrow, I still will not feel any different, people are who they show you they are.

Nov 18, 2013
Our hitting coach is our local JUCO head coach and she is sharing how she sees things when she's recruiting. Aside from this, she has really done a fantastic job cleaning up my daughter's swing from raw ability where she started to some very clean mechanics. I get what you're saying, but she is a good influence.

On the other front, I honestly have tried to stay away from all of it, but it's been eye opening to me how many people are pissed off on behalf of my daughter, who some of them don't really even know that well. I tried to come into all this with an open mind as far as the HC goes regardless of what I had heard, but she has really shown herself these past couple of weeks and sorry, but it's not a good look. Even if shirt were to do a 180 tomorrow, I still will not feel any different, people are who they show you they are.
Sounds like you’re trying your best to be objective. I know how hard it is to keep emotions in check when it’s concerning our kids.

If your kid is seriously looking at D1, talk to other parents of D1 players and find some players themselves to talk to. You’ll get tons of advice from “experts” that don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. Each journey is different so talk to as many people as you can. Lots of people here have been there.

Good luck on her journey.

Jan 28, 2017
Valid question

Her hitting coach is our local JUCO head coach, she did her measurables last spring, as an 8th grader, her exit velocity and throwing velocity were above what she looks for in recruits for her team. Based on what I've read about where her measurables are tracking she should end up small to mid D-1 material on the high end, her biggest hurdle will be her size, I'm thinking she's gonna peak out at about 5'6". I'm hopeful that if she keeps her grades in great shape and she can continue being an excellent hitter, she may be able to move up the ladder a bit. She's signed up for a couple of prospect camps that should generate a more current picture of her measurable stats, one of them has some D1 schools attending, so that will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. She has a profile on sportsrecruits that has generated some interesting looks as far as which schools are checking out multiple videos and coming back multiple times to take a look.

We've made it a point to her that the important part of this is going to a school that fits what she wants to do and that getting as much of it paid for as possible is the goal. Honestly, I wouldn't care if she played her first two years with her hitting coach in JUCO, my job as her parent is to support her in pursuit of her goals and dreams.

I coached many different sports including being a varsity head coach for several years and I'm well aware of how out of touch many parents can be. I've really tried hard to stay as grounded as possible, relying on facts and numbers as much as possible because I know how hard it is to stay objective as a parent.
Sounds like you are on top of it. I live a very rural area but the JUCO team that is close to us has won several national titles. No small 4 year schools close. Moving will be the only option and at the moment she wouldn't do that. Kinda makes it easy to make a decision. Head football and AD for 17 years. Head baseball many moons ago. Not anymore. LOL

May 6, 2015
A) allegedly it was investigated at some level, with the response "she's not the coach, her daughter just plays on the team". This means that it wasn't investigated beyond a phone call because if you watched any of their games, she is in charge. Our state association is notoriously soft when it comes to enforcement, you literally have to make a spectacle of yourself to have anything happen.

B) She has said to me that at this point she'd rather play on JV, but she won't talk to the coach because she's terrified that things will get worse. She thinks that she'll get lectured about being selfish. I've had a couple of other parents (upperclassman parents that I really had never talked to before) approach me because they see what is happening to my DD and have said that their daughters refuse to go talk to here either.

C) it's all a guess as to what actually transpired between them, and to be 100% fair, it's all a bit of a guess on how much of the financing situation is accurately described. All I know is that said parent told that story to many people (who repeated it to many other people) and the next week her DD and the remaining two were pulled up.

D) We've talked about that, and she knows that the education is what matters at the end. She has kept at her grades, I think she's still above a 4.0 (weighted). With that being said, she truly has passion for the game. Even though she's only 15, I think she recognizes that she doesn't want to look back with any regrets some day.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm still hopeful that one way or another things will go the way they should, but who knows.

A - make a spectable. this is the problem today, labels like troublemaker and squeler (sic). if no one makes a fuss, it never gets fixed. if the HC is modereatelly successful, school and district might not want to do anything. local paper might.

B - mow much worse can it get. HC has demonstrated clear lack of regard for ability, your DD should do what is best for her.

C - did you mean parent of those pulled up started the rumor? if so, there is probably something there, why else would someone start a rumor about how slimy they are and how they used their pull to get DD on V?

and recruiters really dont care about HS to much. just be ready to answer the question if it comes to it. in another sport albeit, DD1s recruting advisor told her when she sat out here soph year of HS sports, dont sweat it, the college coaches dont care.

I doubt much changes unless someone makes a fuss. will that person and/or their DD suffer, quite possibly, but first person through the door usually gets bloody.

Aug 25, 2019
A - make a spectable. this is the problem today, labels like troublemaker and squeler (sic). if no one makes a fuss, it never gets fixed. if the HC is modereatelly successful, school and district might not want to do anything. local paper might.

B - mow much worse can it get. HC has demonstrated clear lack of regard for ability, your DD should do what is best for her.

C - did you mean parent of those pulled up started the rumor? if so, there is probably something there, why else would someone start a rumor about how slimy they are and how they used their pull to get DD on V?

and recruiters really dont care about HS to much. just be ready to answer the question if it comes to it. in another sport albeit, DD1s recruting advisor told her when she sat out here soph year of HS sports, dont sweat it, the college coaches dont care.

I doubt much changes unless someone makes a fuss. will that person and/or their DD suffer, quite possibly, but first person through the door usually gets bloody.
While I agree with bmakj sentiment, if you make a spectacle and this coach is still the coach when all is said and done, your DR will never play again. She may be on the team, but very limited playing time, guaranteed. And disregard the probably true rumor about the rich parent bullying the coach, nothing will come if that either.
Your daughter is a freshman, and very few freshman start every game on varsity ( unless the coach is your travel coach, I guess). Just tell her to suck it up and do what the coach says. You got 3 years left in this school (I find it crazy that peop!e switch schools so their DD can play softball, it's one thing to pay over 10 grand for a private school if you can afford it, but to move to another district?)
Also if she does play college, while she may not experience all this political b.s. She most likely will experience not playing that first year.

Kids( and parents) these days want the instant gratification these days (I don't care my DD is a freshman, start her now!). Think long term, like I said, there years of school ball a lot of games to go.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
(I find it crazy that peop!e switch schools so their DD can play softball, it's one thing to pay over 10 grand for a private school if you can afford it, but to move to another district?)

In many places, changing schools does not involve physically moving to another address. Another HS in the same district, a neighboring district, school-of-choice in states that have it all give that possibility. However, most (EDIT many?, some?) states also require a school transfer WITHOUT a relocation to be non-related to sports, or that student sits out a year. Just something else to put into the mix as you weigh your options.

May 6, 2015
While I agree with bmakj sentiment, if you make a spectacle and this coach is still the coach when all is said and done, your DR will never play again. She may be on the team, but very limited playing time, guaranteed. And disregard the probably true rumor about the rich parent bullying the coach, nothing will come if that either.
Your daughter is a freshman, and very few freshman start every game on varsity ( unless the coach is your travel coach, I guess). Just tell her to suck it up and do what the coach says. You got 3 years left in this school (I find it crazy that peop!e switch schools so their DD can play softball, it's one thing to pay over 10 grand for a private school if you can afford it, but to move to another district?)
Also if she does play college, while she may not experience all this political b.s. She most likely will experience not playing that first year.

Kids( and parents) these days want the instant gratification these days (I don't care my DD is a freshman, start her now!). Think long term, like I said, there years of school ball a lot of games to go.
my perspective was his DD is probably not going to play no matter what. her own TB players and parents clearly take precedence. if no one wants to take the risk, the tyrant is allowed to continue and is emboldened (wow, no one raised a fuss, I guess I can simply only play my TB, no one else elever plays from now on, the more you give a tyrant the more they will take).

someone has to be willing to stand up or nothing changes

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Her hitting coach is our local JUCO head coach, she did her measurables last spring, as an 8th grader, her exit velocity and throwing velocity were above what she looks for in recruits for her team. Based on what I've read about where her measurables are tracking she should end up small to mid D-1 material on the high end, her biggest hurdle will be her size, I'm thinking she's gonna peak out at about 5'6".
If I wanted to know your DD's college potential without seeing her, the first two questions would be: (1) how good is her travel team, (2) how does she perform on that travel team. There would be followup questions to each, such as what tournaments does the team play, how do they do; and where does player bat in order, what position does she play, etc.

While exit velocity and other measurables are nice to know, there are lots of girls with D-I exit velocity that can't hit D-I pitching. And 5'6'' is plenty tall enough. UCLA had four 5'6" starters on their recent national championship team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WellFab