Looking for help. Teaching catchers to call the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
Looking for how ways to start educating catchers (14u) to start calling a game. I was a pitcher through college and understand strategy when calling pitches but I'm struggling to get my catchers to understand the bigger picture when it comes to calling a game. I'd really like to start working with them now so that come Sept/Oct they can start taking over.

Advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Whether it's reading material, tips for me as the coach, video, etc.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Good chart, but my question is, How many 14u have a rise ball? How many can hit their spots consistently?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Good chart, but my question is, How many 14u have a rise ball? How many can hit their spots consistently?
I can only answer for my team and area but I have one pitcher out of 3 that has a rise and hits her spots with it when it's on which is about 60% of the time. The area...Many of the higher tier A teams around here have maybe half their pitchers that can hit spots with their RB consistently. The true B and C...nope. So probably, out of all the pitchers in my area, maybe 10%.

inumpire

Oct 31, 2014
So a good chart for higher level pitchers. I think I have one that might be a good all around one for just about any level pitcher. That would encourage hitting the pitch location. I will see if I can find and post.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2018
So a good chart for higher level pitchers. I think I have one that might be a good all around one for just about any level pitcher. That would encourage hitting the pitch location. I will see if I can find and post.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
If you could find that, I would really appreciate it. I'm sure there are others that would as well.

As far as a rise ball thrower. Of my 3 pitchers I have 1 who can throw it pretty well and hits her spots pretty consistently, at least enough to call it on a regular basis. Like any RB thrower, she can hang one from time to time and gets a lesson in why that is a terrible idea lol.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Looking for how ways to start educating catchers (14u) to start calling a game. I was a pitcher through college and understand strategy when calling pitches but I'm struggling to get my catchers to understand the bigger picture when it comes to calling a game. I'd really like to start working with them now so that come Sept/Oct they can start taking over.

Advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Whether it's reading material, tips for me as the coach, video, etc.
Awesome Frost033. Found the best teacher is experience and discussion after the experience. Only thing I stress is throwing the pitch that is working the best on a 2-2 count.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Talk with the team about being in the batters box.
Whats your phylosophy there?
On What would you like your batters approach to be.

Because that in itself can work in understanding calling pitches.

It may effect your own thinking calling pitches too!!!

If you had great hitters what would you tell them?
If they are avg. Or weaker what would you tell them?

Because the pitching strategy usually has to be adjusted for the same.

inumpire

Oct 31, 2014
If you could find that, I would really appreciate it. I'm sure there are others that would as well.

As far as a rise ball thrower. Of my 3 pitchers I have 1 who can throw it pretty well and hits her spots pretty consistently, at least enough to call it on a regular basis. Like any RB thrower, she can hang one from time to time and gets a lesson in why that is a terrible idea lol.

I have attached it as a PDF files. Please keep in mind this is probably 25 years old. Used this when my DD was pitching when she was 12. she is 40 now!! LOL
Not responsible for any of the content, especially for the catchers. Old school I am sure. but good info. Helped my catchers and pitcher a bunch.

Attachments

• STANCE CHARACTERISTIC - Copy.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802