Looking for help on new catcher gear for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
What are your color options? Sites like baseball monkey, baseball savings, baseball express / softball.com all have clearance sections - and sometimes a colored chest protector, helmet, or shin guards are a lot cheaper than a plain black one.

Shop around and you’ll probably find the best deals across multiple sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2020
What are your color options? Sites like baseball monkey, baseball savings, baseball express / softball.com all have clearance sections - and sometimes a colored chest protector, helmet, or shin guards are a lot cheaper than a plain black one.

Shop around and you’ll probably find the best deals across multiple sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I'm leaning toward boombah for at least part of the gear is bc the color options are crazy and the prices arent. I'll probably look for a better helmet, reading around this site it seemed like you want to steer away from facemasks with the front bolts, and their helmets have those and are by far the most expensive piece

May 23, 2015
All star and Schutt have white helmets. That helps a lot in the sun. Both will have breathable legs and chest, but still hot. No way around that. Schutt is by far the best bang for the buck. All Star offers free returns so that's a help

I caught a lot of years and trained a lot of baseball and softball catchers. I've seen no evidence of forehead screws being an issue anywhere else but the interweb. Every company tesis the heck out of this gear. Schutt is leader in testing and AMerican made

Jul 22, 2020
All star and Schutt have white helmets. That helps a lot in the sun. Both will have breathable legs and chest, but still hot. No way around that. Schutt is by far the best bang for the buck. All Star offers free returns so that's a help

I caught a lot of years and trained a lot of baseball and softball catchers. I've seen no evidence of forehead screws being an issue anywhere else but the interweb. Every company tesis the heck out of this gear. Schutt is leader in testing and AMerican made

Thanks for the response, I tried to look into Schutt but there aren't a lot of reviews out there for them. I'm actually surprised by how little there is when it comes to catchers gear, and what there is seems to be more like paid advertising for the major companies via top gear of x year lists, which is why I liked Boombah, their was at least one written review for them.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Thanks for the response, I tried to look into Schutt but there aren't a lot of reviews out there for them. I'm actually surprised by how little there is when it comes to catchers gear, and what there is seems to be more like paid advertising for the major companies via top gear of x year lists, which is why I liked Boombah, their was at least one written review for them.
DD has worn the Schutt S3.2 series leg guards, S3.5 CP and the Air Maxx 2966 helmet for years. In her opinion, that's the coolest (temp-wise) and most comfortable gear she has put on. The shins are especially nice since the plastic spine isn't as wide as most others allowing them to form fit to a wide variety of calf/shin configurations both large and small while still offering excellent protection. The chest protector is probably 3 times thicker than the average CP offering superior protection but just as light if not lighter than others. It also has ventilation holes allowing it to breathe. The helmet has the integrated gel-filled cells that Schutt uses in their Football helmets and developed from extensive impact research through the NFL and NCAA. This allows for smaller "padding" and more air movement throughout the helmet keeping your catcher's head cooler over the course of a game. In DD's opinion, as well as mine, there is no finer setup for protection and comfort.

Jul 22, 2020
@YOCOACH
Thanks for the information. I'll let my daughter know and see how she feels about it. No decisions until we know what team she gets on so we can try and make sure the stuff conforms to the team.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
@YOCOACH
Thanks for the information. I'll let my daughter know and see how she feels about it. No decisions until we know what team she gets on so we can try and make sure the stuff conforms to the team.
I forgot to mention that the longevity is there also with Schutt. Her leg guards lasted over 2 years of year-round practices and games at the TB/college level before needing replaced. The only reason she got a complete new set at the same time as the new leg-guards is simply because you should replace the helmet every 2 years according to NOCSAE recommendations and for the little bit of extra money I figured WTH with a new CP.

Jul 22, 2020
I forgot to mention that the longevity is there also with Schutt. Her leg guards lasted over 2 years of year-round practices and games at the TB/college level before needing replaced. The only reason she got a complete new set at the same time as the new leg-guards is simply because you should replace the helmet every 2 years according to NOCSAE recommendations and for the little bit of extra money I figured WTH with a new CP.

That is something I have heard of slightly, but hadn't realized. The pads/helmet need replaced. So far she's only been in a summer rec and fall rec leagues and hasn't needed to replace the gear as it really hasn't been that roughed up. As she gets into more competitive leagues and its used more it needs replaced every 1-2 years?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That is something I have heard of slightly, but hadn't realized. The pads/helmet need replaced. So far she's only been in a summer rec and fall rec leagues and hasn't needed to replace the gear as it really hasn't been that roughed up. As she gets into more competitive leagues and its used more it needs replaced every 1-2 years?

The NOCSAE is the agency that test and certifies the various types of helmets and other safety equipment meet the mandated impact requirements without breaking. This certification is only good for 2 years. After that, you either need to send the helmet back to them for inspection and recertification or purchase a new one. Considering it's more expensive for the shipping and recertification fee than it is to buy a new one, I just buy a new one. Granted, it's not a true necessity at the rec/TB level, but at the HS/College level where the overseeing authorities come into play and demand that the various schools and equipment they use meet those requirements and must be certified, well...

The leg guards just wear out at the knee pad from dropping and blocking. That's why most manufacturers have made it so you can just replace the pad itself. That said, after the repeated abuse of practicing dropping and blocking and actually doing it playing in games, the plastic spine will eventually crack. DD's lasted over 2 years which is the longest she's ever had a pair and she's had everything from Diamond, All-Star, Wilson and Easton in the past.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I felt dumb asking it, but how much do you give them input on the equipment when it comes to what they like. We live in north western IN and it gets stupid hot/humid so I'd prefer a lighter colored helmet at least, it seems like that would help, but I'm not sure she'll want a lighter colored helmet that doesn't match the rest of the gear.

I insisted on a light nuetral color for DDs helmet. I no longer worry about matching any teams colors (white helmet, gray .white CP, still have navy legs, but will replace with gray when needed), DD will be on her 6th team this fall. unless team buys it for her, it is nuetral colors

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101