Looking for advice in the 'life isn't fair" dept. re: HS Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
My 9year old DD is left handed and is a great 1st baseman and pitcher. However, I am a firm believer of not putting all of your eggs in one basket. The single position basket is a very small one! As a result she can pitch, play all infield positions (though she won't see most of them in a few years) and play outfield. pitches, plays all infield positions and outfield.

Keep this in mind, there is a girl from So Cal that played 2nd base in high level travel and high school. She also made the Junior National team this year, but as a freshman at Florida guess where she has been playing of late? Outfield! Better than the bench. A lot of college outfielders played infield in travel and or high school. So, those girls that are playing middle infield on your DD's team because that's all they can play, are going to see a lot of bench time in college unless they are really really good or can mash! Can't think of a better time for her to learn IMHO.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A lot of good views of playing different positions in HS and TB. How does this translate to providing updates to college coaches? For example, the original post mentioned pitcher and OF. For sake of argument, lets say the TB pitcher is playing OF the entire HS season as a result of making the team stronger. Questions...1) if the player is providing updates to college coaches about HS, how does she address it? 2) how would the college coach perceive this that a TB pitcher is not getting pitching time during HS softball? 3) does she need pitching reps through HS season?

Just curious as we are in a similar situation...my DD is a TB catcher, taking lessons since 9U, has been to many college camps and clinics. The coaches have mentioned updating them on HS softball. She is starting varsity as a freshman with a sophomore catcher ahead of her (asst. coaches DD is the catcher and not playing TB). My DD will be playing SS during HS ball with probably no catching time and since she is following a sophomore, could go on for few years. We are NOT complaining as we understand that it is valuable to be able to play multiple positions, but was wondering how college coaches would look at the situation.
how about something like.
My dd's HS coach has decided that the best way for her to help the team is to be the starting SS. While she is enthusiastic about this opportunity to help her HS team, she continues to take catching lessons and will catch for her TB team...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
U of M recruited a girl with a big bat named Falk. She played outfield and first and rarely caught. When she got to Michigan she opened her locker and there was brand new catchers gear inside. She went to the coaches office and they handed her a new catchers mitt (she's a lefty btw). A month into the season the starter gets hurt and Falk was pushed into the starting lineup for a couple of weeks. You never know where your opportunity is going to come from. Be prepared to take advantage of it when it arrives.

Mar 24, 2014
Do college coaches put a lot of emphasis on HS ball? If you are a pitcher are they looking for stats? My DD has a couple pitchers ahead of her, seems like they are giving the senior most of the innings and the sophomore a few innings. My DD is a freshman, pitched in 4 scrimmages and did very well but no pitching time thus far and season is early. Got her playing 2B and the other 2 pitchers play OF so easier to swap.

My DD was planning on giving some updates to coaches on pitching since she has attended their pitching camps. As she hasn't pitched in games yet we are taking advantage of this time to practice as her TB team has an aggressive summer schedule including three college showcases. Am hoping she gets some pitching time just to keep her normal routine.

Any suggestions other than those posted above would be helpful.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) if the player is providing updates to college coaches about HS, how does she address it?

"The coach told me that the team needs me at position X. I'll do whatever it takes to help the team win."

how would the college coach perceive this that a TB pitcher is not getting pitching time during HS softball?

Probably the college coach will think, "Who is pitching ahead of her? Where is she going?" But, more curiosity than anything else.

does she need pitching reps through HS season?

She needs to be practicing 3 to 4 times a week.

My DD will be playing SS during HS ball with probably no catching time and since she is following a sophomore, could go on for few years. We are NOT complaining as we understand that it is valuable to be able to play multiple positions, but was wondering how college coaches would look at the situation.

Don't worry about it. Your DD is playing one of the key positions on the team. The college coach will be very happy that your DD is quick enouqh to play SS *and* catch.

Last edited: