Looking for advice in the 'life isn't fair" dept. re: HS Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
My DD had a similar experience her Senior year. The other Senior pitcher and her mom were up the coaches butt and as a result got more innings. But when it counted my DD was in the circle and put up the better numbers. The coached hated my guts after I exposed that despite her claims she never played D1 softball.

wow....I bet that was a fun moment when you confirmed she was lying about her own career....what did she have to say when she got caught?.....because that would be really embarrassing for someone....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As a freshman on varsity, whether HS or college, you play where the coach wants you to play or you likely don't play at all.

Not knowing or even knowing what the incumbent skill level is at your preferred position, what the team's needs are in the eyes of the coach, or what politics may be involved in determining position and/or playing time, a player needs to hit well and know how to play multiple positions to maximize their playing time opportunities. To that end, unless you are a specialty player (i.e., pitcher or catcher), you just need to know how to play 2 positions - IF and OF. IFs field balls on the ground and throw, and OFs track/catch balls in the air and make longer throws. The basic responsibilities of each IF and OF position are readily apparent by just watching the game (and IMO should be known by all serious players, but aren't unfortunately).

So if a coach asks "Where do you play?", you can say IF and OF, wherever you need me. Can you play LF? Yes, sir/ma'am! 2b? Yes! RF? Yes! SS? Yes, that's my best and favorite position!

Japan's most recent Olympic team's starting IF consisted of four SS, three of which would have been riding the pine if they didn't consider themselves IF first, and SS second.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
One other suggestion I have... Maybe DD can help these other players become better players at these other positions. So, she helps her team by playing a good OF and by helping the SS be a better SS.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Quick update: DD has discovered a whole new part of the game she didn't know existed! She's been playing more OF at practice and she's really getting into it! So thanks for the encouragement, Im looking forward to an interesting ride!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A couple of random thoughts after reading the OP....

1) Congratulations on your DD making varsity.
2) You, your DW, and your DD should be happy with any position your DD plays.
3) Since she is a pitcher I would concentrate on earning circle time and look at other positions as secondary.
4) Errors in the infield are singles, errors in the outfield are doubles.
5) If you do not have an ACE pitcher in the circle, you had better have some fundamentally sound outfielders with wheels.
6) The position your DD plays in HS has very little influence on where she will play on her TB team.
7) 98.2% of recruiting happens in TB, so tell your DD to relax and have fun.

Mar 25, 2011
What ever happened to a coach's job is also to coach? Now, a player may have a favorite position, and want to play there.... and the team may have a need, and need the player to play there, but your daughters desires don't have to be overlooked either. I would think that a conversation with the coach expressing desires to work on her infielding skills after practice, by taking extra grounders and such, would not go unnoticed, or unrewarded.

My dd started V as a freshman. We were clear to her going in, that this is high school, and politics can outweigh ability... but heart will always shine through the bleakest of situations. She was fortunate enough that her school just plays who the coach considers the best, at whatever position he can field his strongest team... while protecting his pitchers arms. My dd plays second and RF when not pitching in travel... but at high school, she would be the smart choice for the left side of the infield... but, I believe the coach is right by not having her there... arm strength through a season is a big deal... so, she plays 2B and rides the bench.

I understand your 'frustrations', and don't want to discount them, and am glad your daughter is adjusting and having fun with it. I take my dd to the park and hit her tons of fly balls... monster towering shots and short line drive 1 hoppers. Tons of work and reps required to get a good eye for reading fly balls... and the spin! Go have fun with her.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My dd plays second and RF when not pitching in travel... but at high school, she would be the smart choice for the left side of the infield... but, I believe the coach is right by not having her there... arm strength through a season is a big deal... so, she plays 2B and rides the bench.

If you have a better than average pitcher in HS I bet 2B gets 60% and SS gets 40% of the balls hit to MIF. We move our SS to 2B in TB when we have a flame thrower in the circle.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... this is high school, and politics can outweigh ability...

It certainly can, but is HS ball really more political than travel ball? Or does it just seem that way since we can pick our travel teams, and therefore we will choose those that give our daughters the best chance of playing favored positions.

Plus, there are 3 times as many kids sitting the bench in HS ball vs. travel ball, so more opportunity for people to wonder if politics is the reason.

There are fewer parents coaching in HS ball. That's less of that particular kind of conflict of interest.

Mar 25, 2011
It is surely more political, and it could be for your stated reason. We can leave our travel team and play in a tournament the next weekend. High school ball, you can not... you can lose a whole season by quitting a club... a high school coach can not like your parents and your whole season can be over. Maybe you looked at the coaches child wrong, and boom, your daughter is benched.. (and all of this applies to any sport in High School).

I also think the short benches of club ball prevent some of this political stuff. It would be interesting to hear from some of the girls that play in the higher programs.... some CA clubs have 30 player rosters I've heard, with an elite team that plays on Sundays, while the other girls play Saturdays pool play. Things like that surely would have a political taste, and man... I can't even imagine how cutthroat the bleachers must sound between Saturday play and Sunday observers....