Look back v. leaving early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Had it messed up again at another huge tournament. This time runner on 2nd. Batter hits a hard ground ball 3rd base bobbles it and batter beats it out to first. Runner advances to third. Runner literally strolls around first base heading to second trying to induce the throw. First baseman walks the ball toward the circle. Umpire calls her out...coach asks to talk pointing out that the pitcher didn't even have the ball. Umpires realized their mistake but because they had stopped the play had to return runners to the corners. Why oh why is this rule sooo hard. Its a designed play. Nobody runs it better than our organization. Again these umpires were excellent overall. I'm blaming it on the heat. It's over 100 and everyone is a little wonky.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is a common "snakebite" for umpires ... You will do it once and learn your lesson. I'll bet just about every umpire has made this mistake.

Do NOT look for a player in the circle with the ball -- make sure she is the pitcher!

Kudos to your umpires for getting it right in the end and making the best correction they could.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If a coach truly feels an umpire has a rule applied incorrectly AND either doesn't confer with partner or they two (or three) of them are still misapplying a rule, then the solution is a protest.
What happens when you file a protest? It seems to me that in a tournament it is pointless because they are not going to replay any part of the game, if they even have a protest process.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
If I write an equation wrong on the board and a kid shows me the textbook and I made a mistake I don’t kick him out of class...just sayin 😉

You don't teach in the cesspool that I teach in ... joking. Maybe. Maybe not.

E4ba2LM.gif

Feb 13, 2021
MI
What happens when you file a protest? It seems to me that in a tournament it is pointless because they are not going to replay any part of the game, if they even have a protest process.

Depends on the alphabet and the situation. Most tourneys have protest protocols, usually it is UIC or TD gets a text/call to come and make a ruling on the spot.

May 29, 2015

Can anybody tell me when or where they have ever actually seen a protest filed and acted on?

IMO, this is like telling high school students that this is going on their permanent record.

Jul 22, 2015
Details have gotten a bit fuzzy since then but I'm confident the runner had lead off from 2B on the next pitch and the catcher had thrown the ball back to pitcher in circle she's walking towards 2B to prepare for the next pitch, not to throw runner out, and I think since the runner saw the ball go that way and not towards 2B she left. This is where I got confused
In the original post it said "on second base" which I took literally. If she's off the base when the pitcher gets control of the ball in the circle then the runner has one stop or change of direction then must immediately go to the next base or return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28