Look back rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Runner on third, batter walks. Catcher throws ball back to pitcher as batter runs to first. Once runner touches first, LBR in effect; BR continues to second. Pitcher holds the ball, staring at runner on third, not making any motion or attempt. While BR is running to second, runner on third remains stopped a few feet off third base (presumably waiting for pitcher to throw to second so she can run home). Does the LBR apply to runner on third while BR is running to second? Should she be immediately ruled out when she doesn't immediately go back to third or advance to home?

Jan 11, 2015
You've got it right, but that's a lot going on for a two man crew. My money says most miss that.
Actually it's pretty easy to see as two people. Two runners and two umpires. Plate umpire looks at the lead runner and the base umpire watches the batter runner. As soon as the BR hits first you look see what the runner on 3rd is doing. See her standing off and not moving, easy out if she doesn't go anywhere.

Dec 11, 2010
Agree with Strike3, does get missed a lot!

And remember, runner at three has to go back, it doesn’t say she has to hurry, lol

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO what causes the most confusion is what you know already, LBR does not take effect until batter-runner touches 1st. Everything falls into place after that.

If it is called? Nothing wrong with mentioning it to umpire to get them the 2nd time they do it.

Apr 20, 2015
DD's coaches teach the 3B to yell LBR, she's out, when the runner stands off the base in this situation.
Thats obnoxious and could be considered unsportsmanlike and trying to show up an umpire resulting in a warning and or an ejection. I have never seen anything like that in high level softball and would suggest players leave umpiring to the umpires

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Actually it's pretty easy to see as two people. Two runners and two umpires. Plate umpire looks at the lead runner and the base umpire watches the batter runner. As soon as the BR hits first you look see what the runner on 3rd is doing. See her standing off and not moving, easy out if she doesn't go anywhere.

IF the plate umpire is disciplined, maybe. Eyes tend to go where the action is.

Aug 17, 2019
Thats obnoxious and could be considered unsportsmanlike and trying to show up an umpire resulting in a warning and or an ejection. I have never seen anything like that in high level softball and would suggest players leave umpiring to the umpires

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
unsportsmanlike? BS. showing up an umpire? How about helping out an umpire? ejection would just be CYA move. This team plays against some of the highest level teams, Corona Angels Tyson, Batbusters Stith, SoCal A's Richardson, so it's not some local team.