Look back rule clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know what rules you used but in ASA the runner as long as she is standing still off the base when the ball enters the circle ( glove hand or bare hand ) and pitcher has control of the ball the runner is given a few seconds ( 5 might seem right ) to determine which base to go to. This is one of those rules where there is a lot of gray area.

JMO, 1 second of game time can be an eternity, 5 seconds is not immediate which is the ASA rule.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't know what rules you used but in ASA the runner as long as she is standing still off the base when the ball enters the circle ( glove hand or bare hand ) and pitcher has control of the ball the runner is given a few seconds ( 5 might seem right ) to determine which base to go to. This is one of those rules where there is a lot of gray area.

There is no grey area, the runner should have been ruled out if the event occurred as described. Of course, I think the rule should be eliminated to stop all this crap, but inserting logic into the game of softball seems to be an exercise in futility. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop