Look back rule clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Last night in a 10u rec game. We're on D, and a runner is on 1st. Runner takes 2nd as the pitcher is receiving the ball front the catcher. Runner rounds and stays off the bag for a solid 5 seconds while my pitcher is standing there in the circle just looking at her. P makes no attempt to throw, and is fully expecting Blue to call her out. Blue doesnt..... I call time to clarify, while the other teams AC is screaming that the pitcher was holding the ball in her hand and not the glove.....that's why his runner was staying off.... I totally disagreed with that..... What's the call?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Possession and control are what is required, nothing about glove, hand or anything else so the AC is wrong.

I do not remember the LBR being called in 10 rec, what did the Ump say when you asked them?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The pitcher only has to be in possession of the ball, it does not matter how she is holding it. The LBR is in effect unless the pitcher makes a defensive move, such as raising the ball in a throwing position.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Immediate is the word. The runner must return (or go) immediately.

LOL. I can't believe the other coach. Wouldn't it be great to have to work with these morons, day in and day out.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I did say that the pitcher must be making an attempt on the runner for that rule to be obsolete. However, he (AC) insisted that it was off due to the ball being in her hand and not in the glove. The umpire is a baseball guy who was clearly at a loss on any fp specific rules. Blue says to us "I don't care where the ball is as long as the lead runner has stopped".... it was at that point I knew the argument was moot.
After the game was over a few parents came to me and said that the AC was saying to the parents and kids of his team that he was gonna come knock my teeth in.... what an idiot.
Dont be mad at me because you don't know the rules.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
AC should be done if he made any comment even close to that. (I few years ago I told the HC what his AC was saying and he was no longer allowed on the field after they checked it out. AC was just being a jerk, nothing too bad but not what the HC wanted their Team to be.)

Once something gets into some peoples head about a rule it is hard to get it out. It doesn’t matter if they are right, it just gets stuck there. They know what they know. You can provide documented evidence, videos, a Supreme Court ruling, etc. They know what they know you idiot!

Since they know they are right they do not even bother checking the rule book, one because they do not have one and two because why bother I am right.

Jun 11, 2013
I actually like the concept of the look back rule after having to endure another little league baseball season where there is no such rule leading to endless wastes of time with a kid and a 2 foot lead. The intent of the rule wasn't to get a bunch of cheap outs, but rather to speed up the game by making you make a decision. I would love to see it get to a situation where you get a warning as a team if you break it and then make it an out. I see it misapplied so often.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last night in a 10u rec game. We're on D, and a runner is on 1st. Runner takes 2nd as the pitcher is receiving the ball front the catcher. Runner rounds and stays off the bag for a solid 5 seconds while my pitcher is standing there in the circle just looking at her. P makes no attempt to throw, and is fully expecting Blue to call her out. Blue doesnt..... I call time to clarify, while the other teams AC is screaming that the pitcher was holding the ball in her hand and not the glove.....that's why his runner was staying off.... I totally disagreed with that..... What's the call?

Blue was wrong. AC is an idiot.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I had a girl get called on it. Pitcher got the ball in the circle, field ump instantly called my runner on third out, even though she (my runner) turned and started back to base. I tried to argue it, didn't happen.

Jul 10, 2013
I don't know what rules you used but in ASA the runner as long as she is standing still off the base when the ball enters the circle ( glove hand or bare hand ) and pitcher has control of the ball the runner is given a few seconds ( 5 might seem right ) to determine which base to go to. This is one of those rules where there is a lot of gray area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop