Loading both scaps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Back scap first and front scap to get the shoulder under the chin is what he was teaching. Which becomes rock the baby action but focused on the scap.
So retract back scap and then protract front. Too much going on there imo.. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So retract back scap and then protract front. Too much going on there imo.. 🤷‍♂️
I dint think that is what he is saying. I think he is saying retract both. Not at the same time but one to load the swing and one to unload the swing. Rock a bye baby with focus on the scaps.

Jun 8, 2016
I dint think that is what he is saying. I think he is saying retract both. Not at the same time but one to load the swing and one to unload the swing. Rock a bye baby with focus on the scaps.
Ok I see now..makes sense...I was being dense.

Not sure I want to think about either but pretty sure I don't want to think about unload that way.

Apr 17, 2019
Back scap first and front scap to get the shoulder under the chin is what he was teaching. Which becomes rock the baby action but focused on the scap.

Ah, that's different from what I thought you meant when you said pinching both scaps, lol. I mean, I know I have T-rex arms, but it's not easy to hold something in front of you and pinch both scaps. :ROFLMAO:

So I tried it again, sequentially this time. I felt like it slowed my swing down, introducing tension into the unloading portion of the swing. There may be more to it that I'm missing though.

Jan 28, 2017
To me it feels like you can't dump the barrel. I was pretty good hitter a 100 years ago and was a loose as you can possible be. I don't feel loose and it scares me. My DD is more of a pitcher with a lot of potential as a hitter but loses the barrel often and trying to find away to help.

Apr 17, 2019
To me it feels like you can't dump the barrel. I was pretty good hitter a 100 years ago and was a loose as you can possible be. I don't feel loose and it scares me. My DD is more of a pitcher with a lot of potential as a hitter but loses the barrel often and trying to find away to help.
I mean, I don't think you can dump the barrel, but I don't think you can release it either.
If DD has a flawed swing already, I can see how it may help IF you use it as a drill - to get her the feel of not flopping the barrel around.
I feel like there are other drills to help with that though - light bat and pvc drills are coming to mind. If you've done a bunch of drills and the issue persists, maybe try it? Just be aware that if it fixes the issue, you'll probably introduce a different issue in its place. (Sometimes that's okay, imo, if the new issue is less detrimental and fixable.)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee