Little things

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You learn by playing, and talking through the inevitable mistakes that come with it. Watching older players work can be useful, but the player must understand their own limitations and the ability of those around them.

Jul 27, 2021
I am working with my 10U DD who is a first year catcher. She receives the ball well, can block and knows the correct footwork for throws. However, she lacks in game experience and has made mistakes like throwing to first with a runner on third. \
What are little things that she can do that will improve her experience and value as a player?
Here are a few things we are working on:
Tagging each batters when they strike out swinging. That avoids the whole dropped 3rd chaos.
Knowing the count, outs and potential plays.
Knowing when to make a throw (back picks, 2nd…)
Watching for the delayed steals.
Competitive mindset.
Any suggestion are appreciated.
"Making" a good catcher takes time and an athlete that wants to do it. Such a powerful and fun position that can do so much. Catcher can take as much extra practice as pitcher.

Mar 12, 2023
Also would highly recommend getting to a Jen Schro camp, if possible. It's an environment unlike any other, especially for someone of her age. Very empowering and confidence boosting. Make sure to film the drills for use at home too!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Tagging each batters when they strike out swinging. That avoids the whole dropped 3rd chaos.

Would not do this. Teach her dropped 3rd and make sure she knows it.

In many cases, she has something else she should be doing instead of tagging a player who's already out. If she does this as she gets older, a good, aggressive team is going to run all over her once they realize she's too busy tagging batters who are already out to notice them stealing.

I see this a lot where girls will get a force out and then still tag the runner. It's infuriating, and it shows they don't really understand the game they're playing (which is the fault of coaches who have certainly told them to tag "just in case"). Get the out, move on to the next part of the play because the play isn't over once you get a single out.

Aug 5, 2022
Would not do this. Teach her dropped 3rd and make sure she knows it.

In many cases, she has something else she should be doing instead of tagging a player who's already out. If she does this as she gets older, a good, aggressive team is going to run all over her once they realize she's too busy tagging batters who are already out to notice them stealing.

I see this a lot where girls will get a force out and then still tag the runner. It's infuriating, and it shows they don't really understand the game they're playing (which is the fault of coaches who have certainly told them to tag "just in case"). Get the out, move on to the next part of the play because the play isn't over once you get a single out.

Agreed also considering the incredible amount of disgust this will draw from the opposition….likely motivating them to destroy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802