Little League Softball World Series on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
So by that rationale, travel ball teams based in areas with huge populations who have enormous player pools to choose from should never compete on the same stage as teams based in smaller areas with smaller player pools?
In theory, TB programs are not limited by geography. A team from MA can get a kid from CA if they want to..

And the kids that are there participating did have to play in a set number of sanctioned LL games throughout the year in order to qualify...
I don't know that this is true..

I get it, you want your "hometown" OK team (with one kid from Moore and one kid from Tuttle) to do well..The whole thing doesn't really bother me all that much tbh...they can do what they want.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If you are an "A" level travel player and are playing little league all stars you and your parents should be ashamed! You are missing a host of national tournaments and leaving your travel teams holding the empty bucket while you chase the dream of getting on TV in a league that once was. High level of play left those leagues years ago, its unfortunate in a way, but the leagues are still good for the girls who want to learn and enjoy the game at a lower level. Its a shame that people try to put together a super team in these leagues, but people always try and take advantage of a situation....

As long as you're playing by the rules, I see no shame in it.

Feb 14, 2019
In theory, TB programs are not limited by geography. A team from MA can get a kid from CA if they want to..

I don't know that this is true..

I get it, you want your "hometown" OK team (with one kid from Moore and one kid from Tuttle) to do well..The whole thing doesn't really bother me all that much tbh...they can do what they want.
Of course I want the OK kids to do well (I want all the kids there to do well), but it's ultimately not about who wins or loses this event; I don't have a dog in that fight other than I know a few of the OK players. It's about having an opportunity for a cool experience for those kids. I just don't understand the criticism aimed at them and their parents...

Jun 8, 2016
Of course I want the OK kids to do well (I want all the kids there to do well), but it's ultimately not about who wins or loses this event; I don't have a dog in that fight other than I know a few of the OK players. It's about having an opportunity for a cool experience for those kids. I just don't understand the criticism aimed at them and their parents...
If they are playing by the rules I have no issue with the parents/kids.

May 6, 2015
the issue some adults game the system. DD used to play LL softball, and was on two different AS teams (10u and 12u). our town had I think 3 or 4 teams each of those years (and some of those teams had 10 girls). so say something like 40 girls in the pool for AS. if did combined play with neighboring league, which we did once, as they did not have enough for two but too many for one team, maybe 60 girls. Other leagues in our own state have up to say 18 or 20 teams, say 250 girl pool for AS. absolutely no way our AS could compete. district level it was OK, other leagues were on same order of magnitude at least. but get to sectionals and states, it was nearly always the larger leagues winning. they were better, period, because they had a larger talent pool. kinda of like why HS with 500 kids are in a different division than Hs with 2000 kids.

and as far as playing TB and LL including AS, most of the time you see this, the TB team is basically the AS team for a town, they took the AS and made a travel team, that does not play during AS season. otherwise, if you play TB and AS, you basically have to choose which team for say a 4-6 week period. not fair to either really.

I love the idea of LL, PONY, etc. rec ball. trouble is too many parents got caught up in "I think suzy is just as good as mary, who left rec for AS", and bingo, when suzy cannot make a travel team in the area, presto, new travel team is formed by suzy's parents, and suck the few good and some mediocre players from the rec league. now jenny's parents, who saw lilly make suzy's team, say jenny is as good as lilly . . . rinse and repeat, pretty soon most rec leagues are 1/2 the size they were a few years ago, and with 1/4 the talent. what used to be the 9 and 10th player on the rec league team, are all of a sudden the AS. wish i had the answer, other than some type of relegation system, but with so much alphabet soup out there, rather than be relegated or folded, teams would just hop from ond sanctioning body to another.

Jan 24, 2020
If they are playing by the rules I have no issue with the parents/kids.
My Understanding is that due to covid this year the league border requirements were waived for all-stars, DD has several friends whose younger sisters not only went to different leagues but also crossed district lines when the local org didn't charter for this season, and they all made the All-star teams without issue.

DD used to play LL because her travel team went dead for the HS season and she was still able to qualify for Juniors. LL really makes the All-Star experience great for the kids once you get to states/regionals, we actually had a six-man crew for the state championship. Also in some places where the LL boundaries coincide with HS boundaries, the HS coach can get a look at what is in the pipeline and maybe help certain kids get into good TB orgs.

Jun 19, 2016
I am watching it on ESPN and the West Texas team are mostly travel ball players from the Waco area that my DD has played against quite a bit. Kudos for their coaches/parents for being smart enough to get them on them on TV.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
VA won the SE Regional today against NC. This year, the winner and runner up get to advance to the WS because there will be no international teams due to COVID. VA gave up a total of 5 runs in 5 games. We scored 12 runs on them in two games at States. Definitely not bitter...

Congratulations Chesterfield LL. Give them hell at the World Series. Go VA!

Jun 8, 2020
For What it is worth our 12u All Star Team is our Travel team / Little league team (St. Marys Pounders / St. Marys) Placed 2nd in PA this year. 2 years ago won the East region in 8-9-10s. Just came up short at states this year. We win against A travel teams often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478