Like the DROP because

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like the DROP because it is a pitch that
1. Can be thrown both inside and outside on the the batter. Righty or Lefty.
2. Can be thrown lower and higher and still reach the catcher in the air.
3. Can be thrown to bounce earlier or deeper befor, at and behind the plate.
4. Pitchers who can throw a good drop generally can also throw it off-speed.
5. Can also be thrown really hard and often is.
6. Tends to produce more grounders than big howling fly balls.
7. Hard to bunt.

What else ? 🙂

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Like the DROP because it is a pitch that
1. Can be thrown both inside and outside on the the batter. Righty or Lefty.
2. Can be thrown lower and higher and still reach the catcher in the air.
3. Can be thrown to bounce earlier or deeper befor, at and behind the plate.
4. Pitchers who can throw a good drop generally can also throw it off-speed.
5. Can also be thrown really hard and often is.
6. Tends to produce more grounders than big howling fly balls.
7. Hard to bunt.

What else ? 🙂

It has vertical movement, which is more effective than horizontal movement (which, of course, is still better than no movement).

Sep 3, 2015
It has vertical movement, which is more effective than horizontal movement (which, of course, is still better than no movement).

Yes, I like the drop too because it’s moves. Tail it in and out for extra points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think #6 says it all. Unless of course you team can't field a ground ball.

Was recently joking about this with my AC. We don't want a ground ball pitcher because our infield defense is bad, we lost our best outfielder so now fly balls are an adventure, and our catchers can't always handle our pitchers so even strikeouts aren't a guarantee. I need a pitcher who exclusively throws pitches that result in easy popups right back to her and we're set.

Aug 20, 2017
95% of fastpitch hitters swing under the ball
Drop ball gets barreled up
Learn the rise or rise curve or something up in the zone
JMO

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
JMO

Simply from my small part of the world.....I don't agree with the second statement. I would say.... "Drop Balls that don't drop get barreled up". Which really is no different than saying "Rise balls that don't rise get barreled up".

Release point and spin orientation/rate are so important in the drop ball. If it comes out just even a little bit late and/or with incorrect spin....it's likely turning into a hard hit ground ball or going yard. Velocity can help....just pray the hitter hasn't timed the pitcher yet.

A good drop ball will carry up a little bit after release and then anywhere from 10ft-6ft before the plate break down. Anywhere from a couple inches to 6"+. Generally, at the "break point" a hitter has already made the decision to swing or not. If they've given themselves the green light adjusting down to chase the drop is difficult. This results in either a swing and miss or a fieldable ground ball.

Now, can great hitters make the adjustment in real time and be strong enough to hit it hard? Absolutely. But I'd those hitters are the exception to the rule.

I'm not meaning to directly argue with your opinion. It's just the more I read about the drop on here the more I realize how misunderstood it is.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
JMO

Riseballs are great in TB and HS. A kid with a decent rise will be all state.

Rises aren't nearly as effective in college.

At the collegiate level, modern bats allow batters to hit the ball out of the park without barreling up the bat.

For female fastpitch, riseballs are very easy to hit if the batter can pick the pitcher. The flight path of the ball is flat at the plate, so if a better keeps a level swing plane, they can really smack the ball..

Few pitchers throw a good rise. Mostly, it is a bullet spin pitch.

Jul 31, 2015
Riseballs are great in TB and HS. A kid with a decent rise will be all state.

Rises aren't nearly as effective in college.

At the collegiate level, modern bats allow batters to hit the ball out of the park without barreling up the bat.

For female fastpitch, riseballs are very easy to hit if the batter can pick the pitcher. The flight path of the ball is flat at the plate, so if a better keeps a level swing plane, they can really smack the ball..

Few pitchers throw a good rise. Mostly, it is a bullet spin pitch.

So what's the best collegiate pitch? A drop?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45