Lefty power Hitter: 33 -10 vs 32 -9 vs 32 -10

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
Hi All,

My DD is 12U, but plays up on a 14U team and is really strong with powerful legs. She's been swinging a 32 -10 (Demarini CF Zen) for a couple years now and has never had a problem handling it. She's 5'4 and probably 130, but over a year ago put a couple into a 195 foot fence and I think now can probably occasionally hit 210 or a bit more if she catches it right (2 HR in 5 games this year where she was rounding third right about the time they got a glove on the ball-no fence). She has a very pure/compact/athletic swing and her biggest problem has always been waiting on the ball-she has really fast hands. She seems to prefer a balanced bat over end weighted.

We are in need of a new bat. I feel like she can handle a 33 -10 or 32 -9 without a problem, but I'm trying to think through if it's worth the extra inch/ounce. I'm also assuming we'll go with another Demarini, but I'm open to suggestions if there is another bat that carries a bit more weight at 32 -10 but is balanced (I'll look at the database as well)

Thoughts?

Taz

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Based off her size at 12u, someday she will need a 33 -10. Buy one and work it in at practice. She will know when she is ready to use it in a game. Probably after a few good practice sessions.

May 18, 2019
Based off her size at 12u, someday she will need a 33 -10. Buy one and work it in at practice. She will know when she is ready to use it in a game. Probably after a few good practice sessions.
I'm not certain she gets a lot taller. Would that impact whether next step is a 33 - 10 or 32 - 9?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Just go for it. Most girls that size are swinging 33. If she notices a big difference it will be more psychological than physical. She gets an extra inch reach and a little more end load feel. Switch and don't look back.

SIDE NOTE: You are not saying this but when kids place too much emphasis on a bat it is their fallback excuse when things go bad. Let them know from an early age that their swing mechanics are the key to success. Not equipment, weather, time of day or anything else.

May 18, 2019
Just go for it. Most girls that size are swinging 33. If she notices a big difference it will be more psychological than physical. She gets an extra inch reach and a little more end load feel. Switch and don't look back.

SIDE NOTE: You are not saying this but when kids place too much emphasis on a bat it is their fallback excuse when things go bad. Let them know from an early age that their swing mechanics are the key to success. Not equipment, weather, time of day or anything else.
As an update, she played around with my other daughter's 33 -10 2020 prism and loved it. She seemed to be able to handle it without any issue and the eye/ear tests said she was hitting it harder. 2021 prism+ on the way...will report back when she gets some time on the old field with the 195 foot fence and the new bat. Impossible to isolate variables given she's a year older also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee