Lefties...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If you are setting them up for failure then go ahead. Show me a high level or even D2 ss or 2b or 3b especially that is a lefty! 10u as always anything goes!

But at rec level I can see being fair and letting everyone play everywhere.

There was a lefty playing second in the WCWS a few years ago.

As for setting them up for failure, how is that? If a college coach sees a lefty playing SS do you think they are saying to themselves, "well I would never sign that kid she plays ss" or does he/she think "wow a lefty ss, don't see that everyday the kid must have a great arm, quickness and good feet"

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd is left handed. Over the years she has played every single position on the field. The worst spot for lefties is third. Too hard to make the play on a bunt, turn the body and get the throw over to 1st.

She has been her team's #1 pitcher for years, the TB team she was on the #2 pitcher was our starting SS, so when she pitched my dd played SS, because she was better at it then the rest of the team. And that is how you decide, can they make the plays. The ball into the hole, that is hard for a RH to backhand is easier to field for a LH, harder to turn and make the throw, but easier to keep in the infield. Its all in the footwork, if she can start to get her feet around as she is fielding the ball a lefty can make most plays. And for reference my dd is a senior in HS.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At 10 rec - if they can make the throw then I wouldn't think twice about putting them there.

Though in most 10U rec leagues, 2B and 1B are the most important players in the field after pitcher/catcher. You need someone who is going to catch at 1B and someone who is going to make all the easy plays at 2B where a lot of balls get hit for what need to be easy outs. If you have players who can make the throws from SS/3B after that, that is a bonus. We won a lot of rec games with a good right side of the infield, a RF playing shallow to gets some extra outs at 1B and a pitcher who didn't throw all that hard but could throw a lot of strikes on the outside half of the plate.

Too many 10U rec coaches try to hide a weak fielder at 2B when they should be hiding them at SS/3B especially in leagues where you have to give everyone some infield innings. In rec, if they hit the ball to 3B I can live with the hit and outs are almost a bonus, but I need the ball hit to 2B to be an out at 1B every time.

Travel - whole different story of course.

I completely agree about having a strong right side. For my DD's 10U rec team, we play a strong fielder at 2B, and put our weakest at 3B. If 3B can knock the ball down and keep it in the IF, it's a successful play. I'm happy with giving up the rare single to the left side if it means we turn a lot more outs on the right side.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
If you are setting them up for failure then go ahead. Show me a high level or even D2 ss or 2b or 3b especially that is a lefty! 10u as always anything goes!

But at rec level I can see being fair and letting everyone play everywhere.

Texas A&M's Natalie Villarreal was named the Big 12 defensive player of the year in 2009 as a left handed 2b.

Feb 7, 2013
I completely agree about having a strong right side. For my DD's 10U rec team, we play a strong fielder at 2B, and put our weakest at 3B. If 3B can knock the ball down and keep it in the IF, it's a successful play. I'm happy with giving up the rare single to the left side if it means we turn a lot more outs on the right side.

Interesting strategy. My experience is that 2nd base is where you "hide" your weakest fielder in 10U rec. because they normally have a weak arm and its the shortest throw to 1st base. No way that same player is going to make the long throw from SS or 3B with 60 foot base paths. 3B and SS get lots of action fielding bunts and hard hit balls, they also have to cover 2nd and 3rd base on steals which is automatic in 10U rec. because of the all the walks, errors and hit batters. Lots of base runners.

All-stars, travel ball, high school, college, yes you need a very talented 2B. At 10U rec, not so much.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting strategy. My experience is that 2nd base is where you "hide" your weakest fielder in 10U rec. because they normally have a weak arm and its the shortest throw to 1st base. No way that same player is going to make the long throw from SS or 3B with 60 foot base paths. 3B and SS get lots of action fielding bunts and hard hit balls, they also have to cover 2nd and 3rd base on steals which is automatic in 10U rec. because of the all the walks, errors and hit batters. Lots of base runners.

All-stars, travel ball, high school, college, yes you need a very talented 2B. At 10U rec, not so much.

I guess it largely depends on the players you have available. For us, our starting pitcher is good enough that very few of the batters in the league have the bat quickness to be able to pull a pitch to the left side. For the batters who we know have a tendency to pull, we will often switch our 2B and 3B. I understand the desire to give the weakest arm the shortest throw, but that often means a girl with weaker fielding skills, too. A better player at 2B means that hustle plays more often turn into outs. A weaker, less experienced player tends to throw the ball away in their panic to beat the runner with a weak throw, even on plays that are easy for the better fielder. I don't like giving up bases on balls that should be easy outs - even in rec ball. Like I said, I'm fine with a weaker player at 3B that can keep balls in the IF, even if all they can do is throw it back to the pitcher. Keep in mind this is for the players that I have available, which includes my DD behind the plate who is regularly erasing base runners at 1B and 2B. Every team is different.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Lefties at SS & 3B won't have any more problem making plays to 1B than a lefty pitcher would have. The "problem" with lefties on the left side of the IF is the throw to 2B, which in 10U Rec, you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.

As marriard said, the right side of the IF is more important. A 3B who can catch a ball and throw accurately to 1B is golden, regardless of which hand they use. Same with SS, but put the stronger arm, better glove, and quicker player at 3B.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2015
Texas
Thanks for the input! Since this is 10U rec, the # of walks are crazy. So, I want to be able to at least get the outs on the steals to 2nd or 3rd. So, I'm trying to shore up my left side. Last night, my pitchers walked almost everyone. It was SAD! So, if I cant get the outs on the steals, that would help. Heck! My 1st baseman only had to make one play last night. It was really pitiful. We lost 12-0... All of those got on base with walks. :-(

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the input! Since this is 10U rec, the # of walks are crazy. So, I want to be able to at least get the outs on the steals to 2nd or 3rd. So, I'm trying to shore up my left side. Last night, my pitchers walked almost everyone. It was SAD! So, if I cant get the outs on the steals, that would help. Heck! My 1st baseman only had to make one play last night. It was really pitiful. We lost 12-0... All of those got on base with walks. :-(

In that situation, you need to start looking at other ways to get outs. If you have a catcher with a strong arm and a quick release, picking girls off on the bases is a viable option, but you need good gloves at the bases, too.

It sounds like your offense could use some work, too. ;)