Leaving team before season starts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I rarely post on here but I read the message boards at least weekly. I'm hoping to get some advice from the community here. Sorry if it gets a bit long

Background info:
My daughter is 11u playing on an 11u "Gold" team. This is her first year on this team. At the end of last summer, they saw her play at a tournament with her old team and asked her to come to try out for their team. She did and was excited to make it. It's a great team with good parents. We even guest played with them for a weekend before deciding to join. When she was offered they wanted her to be the 2nd catcher and play either 2B or 3B as well.

After joining the team we started fall practice and were getting ready for tournaments to start when the coaches announced they were adding a 12th player. They had originally said the only wanted 11, but this player was too good to pass up. Turns out she's a catcher and #4 hitter. Now we have 3 catchers and DD ends up third. Not a huge deal as she's also working at 2B.

Fall tournaments start and my daughter only catches 2 games out of probably 20. She splits time at 2B with 3 other girls. She did struggle hitting which impacted her playing time on tournament Sunday's. I get that. We told her she needed to work hard over the winter to get back into the lineup in the spring.

DD took private hitting all winter with a fantastic hitting coach. She had won a national championship with an 18u team and knew what she was doing. She took over 1200 swings a month on her own (thank Blast Motion) in addition to throwing/fielding all winter. 3 of the coaches on her team told me in the past few weeks how much better she's gotten hitting.

This past weekend we started our spring season with our first tournament. DD hit 11 out 12 in all 4 games and only played 3 innings in the field at 2B. None at catcher. She got a couple of hits and walked once. Getting on base 3 out of 5 plate appearances.

The worst part... she's totally beaten down about her team and softball. She thought she would hit the middle of the order and get to play 2B "most" of the time based on how she did at practice. She thinks her work was for nothing and the coaches don't like her.

The decision:
Do we stay or do we go? Most teams in our area don't play for another 4-6 weeks. Our team doesn't have another tournament for 3 weeks. I'm concerned if we leave we won't find another team or we'll be just jumping from one problem to another. My wife wants to pull her from this team before we spend all the time/money on travel to sit on the bench every weekend.

Our DD is torn and not sure what she wants to do. She likes being part of the team, but wants to play and is mad that she's not.

Jun 11, 2012
She needs to be playing to develop but it was the first tournament after the winter off so I’d be surprised if the lineup is etched in stone yet.
I wouldn’t leave without talking to to coaches (calmly & rationally) but if it continues through another few tournaments I’d be looking for a new team.

Jun 20, 2015
She needs to ask the coach. (honestly, 11u is borderline on player versus parent asking). The other part is did all the girls ahead of here in batting order hit well also?

Lineups tend to slide around with ebb and flow of hitting streaks and slumps. And really should get all catchers reps every weekend, else why are they there?? On the plus side she's in the batting order every game.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
She needs to be playing to develop but it was the first tournament after the winter off so I’d be surprised if the lineup is etched in stone yet.
I wouldn’t leave without talking to to coaches (calmly & rationally) but if it continues through another few tournaments I’d be looking for a new team.

Good advice here. I'm not big on leaving teams once season starts, but it sounds as though you were told one thing about where she fits on the team and now are getting something else. Not what you bargained for with addition of new player. That doesn't mean the coach is a villain, just that you have a legit reason to consider a move. And if the coach originally said 11 is enough players, then 12 minus 1 is still enough, so you wouldn't leaving the team in a lurch. Also, at age 11, I have no problem as a parent discussing this w/ the coach. Player can talk about 'how do I need to improve?' but it won't stunt her emotional growth to let parent handle discussions about staying or leaving, the coach's roster management philosophy, etc. And as murphdog said, calm and rational discussion w/ coach might persuade you to stick it out longer. Give them a chance to respond.

I did tell DD to ask the coaches what she could do to earn more playing time at either 2B or catcher. She said she would ask after practice this week. I figured I'd let her take the first stab at it and see what they say. I agree, 11 is borderline player versus parents asking.

I agree that the batting order typically changes and that's one reason I'd like to wait it out. The lineup didn't change at all this weekend. It was exactly the same for every game. The 2 hitters in front of her were both 0-5, one of them struck out 5 times. The catcher we added in the fall, hitting 4th, was 1-5 with 4 K's.

The only reason she got to bat is that the tournament forced 12u/11u teams to bat the order since it was early in the season. Otherwise, I'm not sure she would have been in the lineup. Most of the time we bat everyone in pool play and then the top 9 play on Sunday.

Jul 31, 2015
The only reason she got to bat is that the tournament forced 12u/11u teams to bat the order since it was early in the season. Otherwise, I'm not sure she would have been in the lineup.
The tournament forced your DD's team to bat her - ?
Can you please elaborate?

Where in the order did she bat?
And what were her results again?

How many innings did she play in the field vs # of innings the team played overall for the tourney?

Would be good to get a clearer picture. Thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
Forget about where she batted in the lineup and how the other players performed if you talk to the coach. At 11U, the main concern is to make sure she plays at least 3/4 of the innings somewhere in the field and bats somewhere in the lineup for 3/4 of the games.

The tournament forced your DD's team to bat her - ?
Can you please elaborate?

Where in the order did she bat?
And what were her results again?

How many innings did she play in the field vs # of innings the team played overall for the tourney?

Would be good to get a clearer picture. Thank you.

The tournament rules said that teams had to bat the entire lineup. So her team has 12 players so all 12 hit every game. My daughter was 11th.
She was 2-5 with a BB in 4 games
She played 3 out of 15 innings on defense at 2B

Jun 20, 2015
that's not many at bats for entire team in 4 games. were the all struggling to hit? sounds like a bunch of quick innings and not a lot of offensive production.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
The tournament rules said that teams had to bat the entire lineup. So her team has 12 players so all 12 hit every game. My daughter was 11th.
She was 2-5 with a BB in 4 games
She played 3 out of 15 innings on defense at 2B

The coach is exploiting kids to meet his neurotic competitive needs. That's assuming that your DD has done what has been asked of her (attended practices, hustles, good attitude, etc.).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812