Leap now legal in USSSA?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
How about cleats that light up
if their foot comes off the ground
There's an idea that might take!!!

Yeah that's it cleats that light up!

I love this. Anybody watch curling in the Olympics? There was a green light that went on if the stone was released behind the line. Brilliant!

Back to reality. IIRC, it’s the base umpire who is responsible for calling an IP (I know anyone can call it, but in practice it’s usually plate umpire has the hands, base umpire has the feet). It sounds as if the OP was the lone umpire behind the plate.

Perhaps the mythical “next level” where leapers are warned that they will be penalized happens when there are 2+ umps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
I love this. Anybody watch curling in the Olympics? There was a green light that went on if the stone was released behind the line. Brilliant!

Back to reality. IIRC, it’s the base umpire who is responsible for calling an IP (I know anyone can call it, but in practice it’s usually plate umpire has the hands, base umpire has the feet). It sounds as if the OP was the lone umpire behind the plate.

Perhaps the mythical “next level” where leapers are warned that they will be penalized happens when there are 2+ umps?

No, I was at first on a 2 man crew.

I saw the leap and was informed/learned it was now legal in USSSA.

IMO, it isn't hard to see and call a leap, it is a lot harder (more subjective) to allow a leap and then try to discern if a leap leads to a crow hop.

Jul 5, 2016
I find it hilarious that so many in this thread think that leaping and the pitcher’s circle have anything to do with each other!

The circle ONLY comes into play in regards to the LBR. Tall pitchers like Monica Abbot step outside of the circle due to math (as in she had really long legs).
SMH

I think the idea was more along the lines of let the pitcher do whatever she wants in the circle but don't cross the line. It means that umpires don't have to police hard to call illegal pitches.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Ahhh Haaaa there we go!!

Jan 25, 2022
While it's the umpires job to check bats and helmets, it's not the umpires job to check distances and dirty up game balls. If the distances are found to be wrong before the game by either team, it's up to the grounds crew/ home team to get it right. Same during the game.
Umpire is the one who came to dirty the game balls. I didn't even know such a thing existed. He said they were told to do it.

Jan 25, 2022
Actually, it is ONLY the umpire who should be doing this, any other player who is defacing a ball is in violation of the rules.
I must say, my eyes have been opened about this kind of thing the past couple years. Among the umpires I've dealt with as a coach or watched from the stands as a parent, there's certainly a wide spectrum of knowledge, accuracy, and just plain knowing or not knowing the rules. There seems to be equal parts of great, not too shabby, and "ugh...we got *umpire name* tonight.

Seems to be a combination of newer umpires and inconsistent training, but even some of the older and more experienced umps are all over the place. I have the utmost respect for anyone willing to do the job so I'm very lenient about arguing calls, but when an umpire says a walk is a dead ball (and specified it's an Ohio rule), it's like.... uhhh...what????

May 29, 2015
Leaping is now legal?! What's next, Luke is a Jedi Knight?

tumblr_p3b1zfGSW41s3olk1o1_400.gifv

May 29, 2015
Finally got around to reading the USSSA rule (since I'm scheduled to call U-Trip tomorrow ... if the rain stops) ...

Glad to see we are going the route of baseball and just giving up on calling anything the pitcher does. [sarcasm]

Correct me if I am wrong, as this is new to me ... so it is now legal in USSSA to leap as long as you land on the non-pivot foot. Landing on the pivot foot before releasing the ball is a crow hop (replanting the pivot foot).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802