Last year's seniors are coming back this weekend for homecoming, only 1 player wants to see them

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
That is leaving your legacy. Being universally despised (for good reason) from all (but one) of the players on the team from the previous year.

Some of their skills will certainly be missed. But unity wise, this is such a better team.

Last year was the only time the then seniors made the NCAA tournament, largely in part to the freshmen class. And they hated that freshman class. But they did not play favorites. They hated the sophomore class too.

My daughter is a sophomore now. She vowed, along with her friends, that things would be run differently this year on. And they have. Freshmen are included in activities. Girls say "hi" to each other when walking across campus. They will often eat together. It is a team.

With that said, I will add one thing. I am surprised at how much the upper classmen are needed to build culture. I kind of assumed the coach did that. This fall, one of the freshmen mouthed off to the coach. Not sure if the coach heard it or not. But that girl got pulled into a players only meeting and told that is not how things are done.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I believe that those types of class/year divisions, attitudes and resentments are more widespread than mot would like to admit. It was sad to watch, fortunately the "upperclass" (who had been recruited by a previous Coach) realized they were outmatched on every front didn't last very long before quitting. The remaining players (all 1rst & 2nd yrs) had bonded very tightly and took the team to new heights and success.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
With that said, I will add one thing. I am surprised at how much the upper classmen are needed to build culture. I kind of assumed the coach did that. This fall, one of the freshmen mouthed off to the coach. Not sure if the coach heard it or not. But that girl got pulled into a players only meeting and told that is not how things are done.

I think this is good. My guess is that the coach got the ball rolling on this years ago, and the players pass it down.

I think player-led accountability is better than coach-led accountability, though it's more difficult to pull off. I know it's something I try to do.

Apr 6, 2017
I see this at the hs level now. Dd is a sophomore. From what I’ve seen at the hs level is the coaches are part of the problem. Instead of making decisions like a coach they take surveys and stuff. Who should the starters be? Who should the team captains be? It’s supposed to be modern team building I guess? It don’t work here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802