Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Lol. Maybe the “sheep” are saying that because they have seen first hand overbearing helicopter parents crying to coaches (especially HS coaches) about playing time and the consequences that come soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, and maybe you have a very limited view

Aug 7, 2018
No intention of writing a letter at this point. But it's hard not to feel like it became personal when your kid (one of only two seniors on the team) is the only kid whose role was diminished from starter to benchwarmer over the course of the season. Last night was insult to injury and people noticed. The other parents were baffled as to why HC would pull her like that. We will move onward and upward, but it hurts, you know? And watching your child sob and sob and blame herself for a s***tty coaching decision is not easy.
I am so sorry that your DD had that experience! HS coaches do things that make NO SENSE! My DD had a terrible senior season even though she played every game but the head games, etc. were just too much. Some can really be power hungry jerks! We do not even talk about high school ball. She is in college now and despite a rocky start socially has a coach who really cares about her and that is making a world of difference!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
LOL, and maybe you have a very limited view

Try this as an experiment. Go you your kids coach and tell them “My DD is clearly a better player then the kid you have playing at 3B! She should be there instead.
And it really think you made a huge mistake when you pinch hit for my DD in the last inning. Please do not do that again”

Let me know how that works out.

One thing to remember is (this might be a shock to some) that a parent is not always the most unbiased skill-set evaluator when it comes to their kid.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I don't think it's a biased parent's opinion on whether a player is better suited for a position. Why is it that some coaches turn a blind eye to errors committed by certain players. The only people who don't see the errors are prob that kid's parents and the coach if they have some biased opinion of them. We have players on DD's team that make soo many errors yet still play every single game - every inning. Costing us games but - hey - the coach likes them so screw winning but I'm still pissed off if we lose. And I'll blame the rest of the team but not the golden child.

Of course you can't talk to the coach about it because then the coach thinks you're just whining about your own kid.

Oct 14, 2019
It is already done. The season is over. OP will never play for this coach again. The time to have a discussion would have been early in the season.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Try this as an experiment. Go you your kids coach and tell them “My DD is clearly a better player then the kid you have playing at 3B! She should be there instead.
And it really think you made a huge mistake when you pinch hit for my DD in the last inning. Please do not do that again”

Let me know how that works out.

One thing to remember is (this might be a shock to some) that a parent is not always the most unbiased skill-set evaluator when it comes to their kid.

It seems like your view is that every parent flies a helicopter with rose colored glasses on and that every Coach is above reproach and should not ever be questioned.

I know how it works out...and it's not always the same. So, do you believe in this specific case that the OP is wrong with her assessment of skills (for both the player and the coach)?

"Back in the day" (yep, I said it) if someone was being an azzwipe we didn't just ignore it and hope that their actions or behavior would stop. We corrected it. This goes far beyond softball and playing time in case you missed that point. Carry on, I'm gonna fly my heli somewhere else for a bit.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I don't think it's a biased parent's opinion on whether a player is better suited for a position. Why is it that some coaches turn a blind eye to errors committed by certain players. The only people who don't see the errors are prob that kid's parents and the coach if they have some biased opinion of them. We have players on DD's team that make soo many errors yet still play every single game - every inning. Costing us games but - hey - the coach likes them so screw winning but I'm still pissed off if we lose. And I'll blame the rest of the team but not the golden child.

Of course you can't talk to the coach about it because then the coach thinks you're just whining about your own kid.

Don’t get me wrong. Coaches play kids in the wrong spot and at the wrong time all the time.
Daddy ball could be to blame for those situations but it could be other reasons too.

Now, there are many of the opinion (TB play mostly HS not so much) that winning is not to goal but development is. In those cases you will see players that are more prone to make errors in games. That is another topic for another discussion though.

Feb 20, 2020
I haven't told this story here, but maybe it will make some context for the Op.

This was my DD's senior year. She had gotten two letters but barely played Varsity the previous two years. We had a conflict with the coach last year, took it to the AD, the principal, the district. Nothing happened. She planned to play this year -- did the voluntary summer drills, sometimes as the only senior there. She even ran a few of them.

Tryouts come, and she hits the ball well, fields well. But on the last day, the coach tells her and two other seniors that they won't really be a part of the team, that they might not dress for many games, that they won't go on road trips or to the playoffs, but if they want to stay on the team under those circumstances, they can. One of those girls was the starting 3B for two years. She gives them. couple of days to think about it, but to text her and let her know their decision by Friday.

DD and the other girls are devastated. Been with the team for three years, like I said one was a varsity starter and the other and my DD shared JV MVPs last year. Done all they'd been asked to do. And now, before their senior year, they're told that th coach doesn't really want to cut them, but they won't really be part of the team. She's got freshmen she wants to give PT to. All three decide not to come back. But Friday afternoon, the other seniors on the team beg them to return. it's not fun with out them there, that they'll make sure they have a good time. This is their senior year -- they've all been playing together in one form or another for a decade -- and it wouldn't feel right for them to not be a part of the team.

DD texts the coach, says she wants to come back. One of the other girls does, too. Coach doesn't respond. All weekend, the coach doesn't respond. DD texted again Saturday and Sunday. Coach never wrote back.

DD goes to practice. Coach tells her she texted too late Friday, and it was too late. My daughter sat there before practice begging, and this coach said no. So my daughter didn't play her senior year, didn't get a senior day, none of that stuff. So it goes.

I tell this for two reasons.. The first is some high school coaches operate with a different level of morality than most of us. I covered them for a long time as a reporter and I've never understood the cruel delight some of them display in tormenting teenagers. Your DD's coach might not have meant to hurt your daughter, but she might have. The same coach didn't let her senior catcher hit on senior day. Sometimes they're just nasty people who take a gig no one else really wants and that very few people care about.

And the second is, that even though this happened to my daughter, it didn't sour her on her experience. It took a while, but this coach won't take away all of her positive feelings about playing the sport she's loved. She's gathering up her travel team and some pals and they're playing a Halloween tourney in a couple of weeks, then maybe some comp ball before she got off to college and the rest of her life. I know it stings for your daughter right now, but the great/terrible thing about this time is things are changing, and by the time May rolls around, my guess is she won't give this a second thought.

Very sorry it happened, though. it does suck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478