Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
And watching your child sob and sob and blame herself for a s***tty coaching decision is not easy.

And that's where you come in...to provide perspective on the bigger picture. I tell my kids to not allow the poor judgement of others to define them. Remember the good, learn from the stumbles, keep moving forward, and maintain focus on what's important. Ultimately, it's just a game kids play...none of it matters in the long run...even college.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD never experienced a HS playoff game in her entire HS career. Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened.

DD was snubbed in the year end school awards every year. She never rec'd ANYTHING! She was the most decorated player in the past 10 years that I know of. 1st Team All District 3 years and 2nd team her freshman year. She played C and SS and helped the coach run the practices. Not one mention during the awards ceremony. One girl got both Most Improved Player and Defensive MVP. She was not good. Made multiple errors in the OF where she completely quit on the play. The players voted on the awards. When the team started taking group pics, she walked out and sobbed her way to the car. I waited 2 weeks and sent the coach an email. It didn't change a thing and the coach never said a word about it. 2 years have passed and I don't like thinking about it.

What I like to think about today is her All Conference award last year for her college team. I am sitting in my office looking at the poster the school made.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD never experienced a HS playoff game in her entire HS career. Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened.

DD was snubbed in the year end school awards every year. She never rec'd ANYTHING! She was the most decorated player in the past 10 years that I know of. 1st Team All District 3 years and 2nd team her freshman year. She played C and SS and helped the coach run the practices. Not one mention during the awards ceremony. One girl got both Most Improved Player and Defensive MVP. She was not good. Made multiple errors in the OF where she completely quit on the play. The players voted on the awards. When the team started taking group pics, she walked out and sobbed her way to the car. I waited 2 weeks and sent the coach an email. It didn't change a thing and the coach never said a word about it. 2 years have passed and I don't like thinking about it.

What I like to think about today is her All Conference award last year for her college team. I am sitting in my office looking at the poster the school made.

Yeah, DD was 2nd team All Region sophomore year and 1st team last year. Won't get anything this year since she only played in the field for about 1/4 of the games. That hurts too.

On the other hand, she is going to be playing DIII ball with a Coach who wants her and fought for her. I'm not saying that the road in college won't be hard at times too, but I think good days lie ahead.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
She is. You're a better person than me if you wouldn't have been upset in the same situation. That's all I can say.

Being upset is one thing. But there is literally nothing that you can say or do that will change anything. This kind of stuff can/will very well happen in college.

If one thinks that going to a college coach in that situation is a wise choice they will be in for a very rude awakening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It's really annoying that everyone on here says to just be a sheep, deal with it, don't say anything...if more people spoke up, communicated effectively (not irrationally) perhaps people and things would change...maybe even for the better. Softball is a very small world and word gets around...obviously the consensus opinion is to just just up and deal with it because, well you know, that's just the way it is.

May 21, 2015
South
What you are experiencing is the "emotional roller coaster" of softball. Every parent of a player who has played a lot has been there. As others have said in different words, the roller coaster in college is a lot bigger. Get ready.

May 6, 2015
sadly, incompetent HS coaches do not always get shown the door, connections often override competence or record.

if people do not call out bad behaviour, it will continue. if you want to improve HS coaching, there has to be accountability. if you simply let bad coaching slide, that is part of the problem, and it will not always be corrected due to their performance. you have to call these kind of things out to the powers that be or the local press. waiting until your kids HS career is over shields them, but also makes it clear this is not just about your child.

I would wager 3 to 1 that the underclassman who supplanted your DD did not want to play 3B, and their family is connected.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
It's really annoying that everyone on here says to just be a sheep, deal with it, don't say anything...if more people spoke up, communicated effectively (not irrationally) perhaps people and things would change...maybe even for the better. Softball is a very small world and word gets around...obviously the consensus opinion is to just just up and deal with it because, well you know, that's just the way it is.

Lol. Maybe the “sheep” are saying that because they have seen first hand overbearing helicopter parents crying to coaches (especially HS coaches) about playing time and the consequences that come soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom