Large roster size--who is getting cut?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
Freshman year is an adjustment but so many kids are totally unprepared. DD was lucky that her senior year HS coach and her club coach throughout high school were both former college athletes who instilled a great work ethic in the players. Both teams utilized the weight rooms and encouraged a work out program year round not just in season. They have a freshman heavy team this year and a new coach so as a senior she’s stepped up a ton to make sure that at least some of the incoming freshmen were prepared. She tried with all of them but wasn’t successful. They’ll figure it out when it comes to playing time.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD’s D3 team has a large roster. I’m not sure what the coach is planning but I heard talk of a possible JV type squad. (Do colleges have JV, maybe I’m using the wrong word) Also, only so many might travel to away games and that might rotate.

. All I know is my DD is working her tail off at weights and captain practice. (She has lifted regularly since 9th grade) she actually likes lift. I don’t know where she will fall as far as team placement, if indeed they do split the squad. She already sees kids not making any of the voluntary captains workouts but I don’t know if any repercussions will come of it since they aren’t mandatory. She’s just keeping her head down and working hard. My guess though, is some kids will fall off before the Spring season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I have heard of college programs having a JV team. NAIA and D3 for the most part. I

May 21, 2015
South
For those of you that don't know, college coaches do cut players. This applies to all divisions. If your daughter is on a team with a large roster and isn't busting her a$$, she has a good chance of being cut. DD's coach almost cut a girl on a road trip when the player asked for more playing time.

Nov 18, 2013
Parents shouldn’t get involved in this, especially at the college level. All they’d be doing is approaching other players and spreading rumors. Nobody knows what the coach actually said, or the context.

Jun 11, 2012
Parents shouldn’t get involved in this, especially at the college level. All they’d be doing is approaching other players and spreading rumors. Nobody knows what the coach actually said, or the context.
Exactly this. One of DD’s friends ended up transferring because her mother wouldn’t stop trying to talk to the coach, even went as far as contacting other schools pretending to be the daughter and asking if they had a spot for her. The kid had no chance no matter how good she was because her mother was that crazy. That being said, she wasn’t a starter heading in to college, did her mother expect there to be less competition.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Exactly this. One of DD’s friends ended up transferring because her mother wouldn’t stop trying to talk to the coach, even went as far as contacting other schools pretending to be the daughter and asking if they had a spot for her. The kid had no chance no matter how good she was because her mother was that crazy. That being said, she wasn’t a starter heading in to college, did her mother expect there to be less competition.
Wow! That's some bat Sh$t crazy stuff right there!

Jun 11, 2012
Wow! That's some bat Sh$t crazy stuff right there!
You have no idea. It started during spring training in FL freshman year when she followed the coach into the bathroom to complain about playing time. 3 games into preseason and her kid had played in 2 of the 3 games but it wasn’t enough

May 23, 2018
For those of you that don't know, college coaches do cut players. This applies to all divisions. If your daughter is on a team with a large roster and isn't busting her a$$, she has a good chance of being cut. DD's coach almost cut a girl on a road trip when the player asked for more playing time.

Exactly. People don’t realize in Division I and Division II you are only there on a year-to-year basis. They are under no obligation to renew your scholarship for subsequent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802