Large roster size--who is getting cut?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Talking to fellow college kid's dad today catching up on how kids are doing so far this fall. Other team: Large incoming freshman class and large roster size. Dad says that it was revealed that the coach will reduce the roster to 25 to one of the players and not the entire team. That means 8 players will be cut, red shirted, or whatever.

Meanwhile, freshman kids aren't buying into the program, aren't taking the upper classmen seriously, going home every weekend (not a problem), acting immature, etc. These players don't know this is going to happen but I feel as though someone should say something to these players to get their attention. No one likes surprises right? At work a good manager will give you direction and expectations of what is required to do well. Granted this is the fall and the coach hasn't started real practices yet as this is D3. I told the dad that maybe someone should say something to one of the girls as an aside conversation to see if their behavior improves. You know that information will spread like wild fire within that freshman class. If not, they are gonna be in for a rude awakening and the parents won't be too happy when super hometown stud is no longer on the team.

Jan 31, 2015
Talking to fellow college kid's dad today catching up on how kids are doing so far this fall. Other team: Large incoming freshman class and large roster size. Dad says that it was revealed that the coach will reduce the roster to 25 to one of the players and not the entire team. That means 8 players will be cut, red shirted, or whatever.

Meanwhile, freshman kids aren't buying into the program, aren't taking the upper classmen seriously, going home every weekend (not a problem), acting immature, etc. These players don't know this is going to happen but I feel as though someone should say something to these players to get their attention. No one likes surprises right? At work a good manager will give you direction and expectations of what is required to do well. Granted this is the fall and the coach hasn't started real practices yet as this is D3. I told the dad that maybe someone should say something to one of the girls as an aside conversation to see if their behavior improves. You know that information will spread like wild fire within that freshman class. If not, they are gonna be in for a rude awakening and the parents won't be too happy when super hometown stud is no longer on the team.
Unfortunately, that *someone who should say something* are the parents! You reap what you sow.

AFAIC, after struggling through the NCAA COVID recruiting blackout, if they don't appreciate being BLESSED with the privilege to play college ball, then shame on them! There are PLENTY of other 2021s out there that didn't get the opportunity who would gladly take their places.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Unfortunately, that *someone who should say something* are the parents! You reap what you sow.

AFAIC, after struggling through the NCAA COVID recruiting blackout, if they don't appreciate being BLESSED with the privilege to play college ball, then shame on them! There are PLENTY of other 2021s out there that didn't get the opportunity who would gladly take their places.
Well, the parents have no idea how these kids are acting on campus, during weights, at Captain's workouts, etc. Tuck your shirt in. Even though coach is not here, we have to get our work in. Don't be late, unless you have class. etc. How would the parents know? Some of these kids are complaining that this is hard! My point is, that many of the players are not prepared to be a student athlete at any level. They love the idea of playing college ball but they don't like the work that is required to play and they don't want to conform. TB was all about the I over the Team. College is all about the TEAM.

Jan 31, 2015
Well, the parents have no idea how these kids are acting on campus, during weights, at Captain's workouts, etc. Tuck your shirt in. Even though coach is not here, we have to get our work in. Don't be late, unless you have class. etc. How would the parents know? Some of these kids are complaining that this is hard! My point is, that many of the players are not prepared to be a student athlete at any level. They love the idea of playing college ball but they don't like the work that is required to play and they don't want to conform. TB was all about the I over the Team. College is all about the TEAM.
They have had 17+ years to establish their daughter's work ethic, #grit and values, so if they don't know by the time they get to college, then shame on them.

My DD learned a long time ago what is expected of her and that it's a *blessed privilege* to be given the opportunity to pursue *HER* dream. She's been a student-athlete for the last 11+ years playing TB in addition to MS-HS softball and TFH having to learn how to maintain straight A's while doing homework in the truck and at the airport to and from practices and tournaments. If they don't have the work ethic and time management by the time they get there, then it was a mistake giving them the opportunity because there's plenty of other girls passed over that would put in the work. Although lots of TB is about showcase tournaments (I) there are also plenty of national level PGF, USA, USSSA team-oriented tournaments too.

Jun 8, 2016
They have had 17+ years to establish their daughter's work ethic, #grit and values, so if they don't know by the time they get to college, then shame on them.

My DD learned a long time ago what is expected of her and that it's a *blessed privilege* to be given the opportunity to pursue *HER* dream. She's been a student-athlete for the last 11+ years playing TB in addition to MS-HS softball and TFH having to learn how to maintain straight A's while doing homework in the truck and at the airport to and from practices and tournaments. If they don't have the work ethic and time management by the time they get there, then it was a mistake giving them the opportunity because there's plenty of other girls passed over that would put in the work. Although lots of TB is about showcase tournaments (I) there are also plenty of national level PGF, USA, USSSA team-oriented tournaments too.
The Bulger brothers must confuse you..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When a kid arrives on a college campus, something happens to their brain while they are exploring their new found freedoms. You mean I don't have to go to class if I don't want to? I really don't feel like doing 20 squats today. When they are waking up early for weights, I am pretty sure they are not saying to themselves. I am so blessed to be able to work my A$$ off at 6am. If it were easy, fun and awesome, players would be playing all 4 years. Last time I checked, most programs have less Seniors than incoming freshman. I would also add that most of these kids are good kids that come from good homes. Not all. It's not easy to go through the grind of TB for 10 years. Having supportive parents/family is paramount to make it this far.

My kid is not the same person she was 2 years ago. She actually has become a more pleasant person to be around. Kids and adults will find a way to exert the least amount of effort required of them and often time less. That's why we have coaches right? They are there to get the most of their players and will push them beyond their limits.

Jun 27, 2018
My DD’s D3 team has a large roster. I’m not sure what the coach is planning but I heard talk of a possible JV type squad. (Do colleges have JV, maybe I’m using the wrong word) Also, only so many might travel to away games and that might rotate.

. All I know is my DD is working her tail off at weights and captain practice. (She has lifted regularly since 9th grade) she actually likes lift. I don’t know where she will fall as far as team placement, if indeed they do split the squad. She already sees kids not making any of the voluntary captains workouts but I don’t know if any repercussions will come of it since they aren’t mandatory. She’s just keeping her head down and working hard. My guess though, is some kids will fall off before the Spring season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802